Random Passwords and usernames

rbsmit02

Board Regular
I have 500 agents trained on a new tool.
I need to create usernames and passwords for them as I am the admin of this tool.

What I need is thus:
column 1 contains first name space last name.
I want column 2 to format the name to a string in the format first initial last name (ray smith = rsmith).

In the third column I need to generate a random password between 6 and 8 charicters with at least 2 letters in the password.

Any pointers on how to do this?
this project needs to take very little of my time so I do not care what type of solution it is.... VBA or formula

could cheat your way around randbetween...

instead of randbetween(6,8), could use =round(6+rand()*2,0)

and instead of randbetween (1,36), could use =round(1+rand()*35,0)

Not truly random, but probably good enough for your use.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Okay,

Here is some very generic password ...

<font face=Tahoma New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> CreatePassword()
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> strPassword$, strFName$, cel <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range, rng <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range, _
        a$, b$, c$, d$, e$, f$, myLen#, i#, myNum#
    Randomize
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rng = Range("C2", Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Offset(, 2))
    rng.Clear
    myLen = Int(Rnd() * 2 + 6)
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> myLen > 8 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> myLen = 8
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> cel <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> rng
tryHere:
        myNum = Int(Rnd() * 1000000)
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> myNum > 100000 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> myNum = myNum + 100000
        strFName = cel.Offset(, -2).Value
        a = Chr$(Int(Rnd() * 10) + 97) <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'97 = 'a'</SPAN>
        b = Chr$(Int(Rnd() * 10) + 107) <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'107 = 'k'</SPAN>
        c = Chr$(Int(Rnd() * 5) + 117) <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'117 = 'u'</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Asc(c) > 122 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> c = Chr(122) <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'keeping letters</SPAN>
        d = Chr(Int(Rnd() * 10) + 65) <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'65 = 'A'</SPAN>
        e = Chr(Int(Rnd() * 10) + 75) <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'75 = 'K'</SPAN>
        f = Chr(Int(Rnd() * 10) + 85) <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'85 = 'U'</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Asc(f) > 90 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> f = Chr(90) <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'keeping letters</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Select</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> myLen
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> 8
            strPassword = a & b & myNum
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> 7
            strPassword = c & myNum
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN>
            strPassword = d & e & Left(myNum, 3) & f
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Select</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Resume</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> WorksheetFunction.CountIf(rng, strPassword) > 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> tryHere
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN>
        cel.Value = strPassword
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> cel
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>
</FONT>

This is a random 6-8 character password with number and letters. It can have 11, 2 or 3 letters depending on your choice (in the Select Case Statement). Add or remove as desired.

I'm sure there's better out there.. HTH

Upvote 0
Here's my attempt.

This generates a 4 digit number then concatenates the last letter of the first name and last letter of last name to give you a 6 digit Password, and checks if its unique before entering the value.

This is assuming:

Column:
A = Last Names
B = First Names
C = User Name
D = Password

Sub RandomPassword()

X = Right(ActiveCell.Offset(0, -3), 1)
Y = Right(ActiveCell.Offset(0, -2), 1)
NewPass:
Z = Int(Rnd * (9999 + 1 - 1000)) + 1000
If WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("D1:D65536"), Z & X & Y) > 0 Then GoTo NewPass
ActiveCell = Z & X & Y

End Sub

Someone please verify if the code:
If WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("D1:D65536"), Z & X & Y) > 0 Then
is correct.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I checked the code:
If WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("D1:D65536"), Z & X & Y) > 0 Then

with a lower scale of random numbers 1-9 and it worked. I had to break the macro when there were nomore unique passwords.

But with a scale of 1000-9999 and two alpha characters, I don't think you'll run out of passwords for your company.

Upvote 0
Here's a Macro for User Names as you enter a new person you can run this in the cell next to it (column C) to get a user name.

There's probably an easier way to do this but I just started on VBA so forgive me...

Again I'm assuing the USER NAME is in Column C and Last name in A and first name in B

Sub UserName()

X = LCase(ActiveCell.Offset(0, -2))
Y = LCase(Left(ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1), 1))
N = Y & X
i = 0

If WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("c1:c65536"), N) > 0 Then _
GoTo NewName
ActiveCell = N
End

NewName:
N = Y & X
i = i + 1
N = N & i
If WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("c1:c65536"), N) > 0 Then _
GoTo NewName
ActiveCell = N

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks!
To everyone that responded. I learned alot of good tricks from you guys and I am very greatful for all the help!!!!
(y) (y) :p :p :) :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Really late to the party, but if you were to try this in VBA, you might want to have a look at the following:

Code:
Public Function rndStr(ByRef StrLength As Long) As String
Dim b() As Byte, keyArr() As Byte
Dim i As Long
Let keyArr = "0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
ReDim b(1 To StrLength * 2)
For i = 1 To StrLength * 2 Step 2
    Let b(i) = keyArr((Int((62 - 1 + 1) * Rnd + 1)) * 2 - 2)
Next
Let rndStr = b
End Function

It's got some chops. You simply feed in the number of return characters, e.g.,

=rndStr(8)

As it's [pseudo-]random, you're not guaranteed to have two Alpha chars, while the probability that you do is decent as there are far more Alpha return possibilities. You could set a flag in the function and recurse on the function if it didn't return what you wanted.

Upvote 0
NateO,

Just came across this - Awesome! This has really helped me out, and got me respect from my boss - thanks!

Upvote 0
Very good; glad I did add it, then. You're welcome.

Just make sure you don't adjust the keyArr input without changing the upper boundary, 62.

Or, perhaps I should have made it dynamic, e.g.,

Code:
Public Function rndStr(ByRef StrLength As Long) As String
Dim b() As Byte, keyArr() As Byte
Dim i As Long
Let keyArr = "0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
ReDim b(1 To StrLength * 2)
For i = 1 To StrLength * 2 Step 2
    Let b(i) = keyArr(Int(((UBound(keyArr) + 1) \ 2) * Rnd + 1) * 2 - 2)
Next
Let rndStr = b
End Function
Now, you can change keyArr and the boundaries of the random input-key will dynamically flow. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back