Auto. Update Pivot Table Range Macro

isadoko

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
XL: 2002

Would like macro to automatically update Pivot Table data range taking into account newly added records/entries thereby negating need to periodically invoke Pivot Table Wizard or Refresh Data functions which in the case of the former require one to manually fetch the data and the latter's assured inability to recognize added records/entries.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
One way is to create a dynamic range, and use that as the data source for the pivot table. Assuming your table starts in A1 in Sheet1:
Insert | Name | Define
Top row, insert a name, eg PivotRange
Bottom row, this formula:
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A)-1,n) where n is the # of columns in the table.
Click Add, then OK
Go to the Pivot Table, then in the wizard, change the data source to =PivotRange

You still need to refresh the pivot table when new data is added, but no need to adjust the range - that expands automatically.

If you want to have a macro that does the refresh, record one and use a button to trigger it. Post back if you need more details.

Denis

Upvote 0
Dennis,

Gave your response a try and all went simmingly except that your solution inexpicably (or my error) will not capture but two of my three entries when I update. Thoughts?

Neglected to tell you I am using a Data Form to enter new records; I doubt that would nullify your answer but I leave it to you to tell me.

isadoko

Upvote 0
Hi isadoko,

Check to see whether there any blanks in Column A. If there are, and you will ALWAYS have the same number of blank cells, you can adjust the formula for the range as follows --
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A) + m, n) where n is the # of columns in the table and m is the # of blanks in Column A

Also, I made an error -- had -1 after the COUNTA expression, that shouldn't be there if you use the range for a pivot table.

Denis[/i]

Upvote 0
Dennis,

Followed your instruction and it worked. However can you briefly explain the blanks. When I entered a value for 'm' (chose 1) I noticed that my range was exceeded by 1 row and generated a blank entry in the table. Is that what you meant or have I got it wrong? I ask this for I have no blank fields in column A save for those exceeding my table's range. I remedied the blanks by deselecting them in the affected field. That correct?

isadoko

Upvote 0
Hi isadoko, probably best if I take the OFFSET function apart for you.

Current formula is
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A) + m , n )
Syntax is
=OFFSET(Top left of range, offset rows, offset cols, height (rows), width (cols))
IN our case, Sheet1!A1 is the top of the range, os that is the first parameter. The next 2 parameters are 0 because we don't want to mave the start position.
The COUNTA function works out the height of the table, by counting all non-blank cells in Column A. The last parameter is width in columns.
If your data entry form is giving you blanks in column A, you may have something in one of the other columns -- a formula that fills down? Don't know but that's my guess

Hope that helps

Denis

Upvote 0
Denis,

Got it!...I think. I made m=o and all my problems evaporated. First know that my sheets is layed out thus:

Column Headings: A-M
Data Rows: 2-740 and counting

Column A must never be blank for there I enter my location number and I must have a location number. I posited that my blank was being generated by my m=1 factor so I replaced the 1 with a zero and magically all worked perfectly. Naturally I must not forget location, location, location. I appreciate your help and patience.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back