"Too Many Formats" error

chrismdusa

Board Regular
Is there any way around the "Too Many Formats" error besides the obvious?

I have a fairly large spreadsheet with several worksheets in it. It's been growing over the years, and I guess I hit Excel's limit. I really don't want to have to try to cut it down or go through the whole thing trying to limit formats. I was wondering if there is an add on that can help, or if anyone knows if an upcoming release of Excel will have the 4,000 formatting limit raised? Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Ok thanks, but I already saw that. What I'm wondering is if there is an add-on for Excel that will improve the 4,000 limit, and if not, does anyone know if that limit will be raised in the next Excel release? Thanks again.

Upvote 0
This post is long since gone, but just a side note, there is a Excess Format Cleaner utility on Microsoft.com that can help reduce number for format combinations.

Upvote 0
Consistent with the information in the referenced article in a preceding post, I've been told that you can reduce the problem by formatting as many cells as you can at the same time by selecting as many cells as you can (hold down the Ctrl key) then apply the formatting. For example, to apply the same format to:
A) contiguous cells, just press on the Ctrl key and move your cursor over all the affected cells, then format them.
B) non-contiguous cells, hold the Ctrl key then select each cell separately, then format them all at once.
You can do this to cells already having the same format. Just reapply the format en masse. It should help.

Upvote 0
I downloaded the format cleaner you recommended, but Nothing seems to execute. The instructions on Microsoft.com said to doubleclick the .xla file to run it. I did, and I got a blank Excel screen and no macros or instructions...nothing. Has anyone actually used this program? I have it residing in the Microsoft Add-ins folder and it appears in the addin managers list, so I checked the box, but its name never appeared in the Tools list.

Upvote 0
I just added it as an addin, then I have a new option off the File menu. This utility resets the END+HOME cell and removes excess unused space onyour sheets.

I have also found another tool that is good for this,

http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ExcelUtilities.htm

after running the .exe you have a new menu item, Utilities. Go Utilities, Sheet Utilities, Delete Unused styles. It takes a long time for big files (25min), but it worked very well for my case, I we are no longer getting the Too Many Formats error.

Upvote 0
Thanks yankee428 & SidBord for the info. I haven't checked this thread in a couple of months. I'll try your ideas later this week or weekend. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back