AutoSum Function Problem

Squishie

I opened a spreadsheet that another user had created and the are two numbers in one of the columns that the AutoSum function is not including in the total. The numbers in question are included in the total if I use a formula to add, subtract, mutiply or divide them. It seams to be strictly an AutoSum problem. I have looked at the formatting of the two cells and I can not see any difference between them and the cells that are normal. I have used the Format Painter to copy the formatting from the good cells to the bad cells and there is no change. My concern is that this spreadsheet has been copied and used for other workbooks and I need to find a quick way to determine if the AutoSum function is working properly without having to manually add up all the numbers in each column. Also, does anyone know why this is happening and how I can stop it from happening? Thank you.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Hi

What is the status of the calculation?

What happens if you press F9?

Tony

Upvote 0
Just formatting the cells will not work. You need to actually 'change' the cell's data. Two ways:

1. Double-click so as to enter into edit mode and hit enter for each of the cells in question (if formatted as general or number).

2. Copy a blank cell and then select the cells in question and Pastespecial/values/add.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your help. I have used the copy paste and the function now works. The sheet was seeing the numbers as text even though they were not showing as text. I don't know why it was doing that but it is fixed now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back