Looking for info on PM and PM Box

DougStroud

Hello Boardmembers,
I sent a couple of Private Messages out and have not received a reply. I am wondering if I am performing this correctly. Is there anywhere to see if the message was successfully sent/received? Is there a PM box to view messages sent?

Thanks,

Doug

If you look in your Outbox and the messages are still there, the receivers have not opened them yet (but they HAVE been "delivered").
There is also a Sent box - messages are moved to there once the receivers have opened them.

I think I may be having a problem sending PMs then. I sent one to someone assisting me with an issue and I sent this about 4 hours ago and they still have not received it. I had sent two other PMs out this past week and have not received any replies.

Can I check on this in anyway?

Thanks,

Doug

There isn't a problem - they just aren't reading them.

While it may seem hard to believe, some of our members are logged out of the site for periods longer than four hours... If they don't respond within 5 hours, just wait longer. :LOL:

Seriously, as Tracy has said, if it's in your Outbox (unread) or Sentbox (read) you have properly transmitted your PM (well, the delivery functionality at least).

Thanks for the response Tracy and Nate. The PM probably works fine, I was probably looking for some functionality that is not there. When I sent a PM, I was looking for my original message to re-read it and to see who I sent it to, but could not find anything, I am assuming because it does not exist. But the one thing that still is odd, is that when I did receive a PM, my link at the top still displayed a status of "You have no new messages". So these couple of things were throwing me off.

Thanks,

Doug

I think you can go into the Outbox and reread your message that has not been accepted yet.

Right, let's see if I can spell this out to make things a bit clearer:

When you send a PM to someone and they have not read/received it, it appears in your Outbox.

If the PM is no longer in your Outbox (meaning the person has read/received it), it will appear in the Sentbox.

Every message has a "Save Message" button. If you click it, you can move the message to the Savebox. If you do this, it will no longer appear in the Inbox.

DougStroud said:
When I sent a PM, I was looking for my original message to re-read it and to see who I sent it to, but could not find anything, I am assuming because it does not exist.

This should display in either the Outbox or Sentbox depending on if the recipient has read the message. If it is not in one, it should be in the other (assuming you have not deleted the message from the Outbox or Sentbox).

...when I did receive a PM, my link at the top still displayed a status of "You have no new messages".

This is simply a matter of refreshing the page. The board does not refresh in "real-time."

For example, I could receive an email notifying me that I have received a PM. However, if I am currently on a page here at the board, the text link at the top of the screen would not say that I have a message until either the page is refreshed manually or I go continue to another page. Then the PM message at the top of the screen would display "You have (x number of) messages."

Heck, sometimes I see the text link at the top saying I have a message before I even get the email notification.

Does that help any or have I just confused things further? :)

Thanks Von Pookie,
I do see messages as you explain them. I think I may have experienced some different results earlier and me being new, not knowing if this board worked one way or another. I had sent a message to Aladin and Pennysaver and I did not have a copy in my outbox and there is not one in my sent box. I checked with Pennysaver and he never received this PM. I have recevied and been able to successfully send and track PM as of late.
Not trying to make a federal case here, just staying in touch.

Thanks for everyones help, especially you Von Pookie for taking the time.

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back