Is there any way to make pivot charts look better

MJK

Board Regular
I've been expermenting with pivot charts. They work great, but all you can get when using a bar chart is a blue bar. I tried reformatting the chart, changing the bar colors, adding values - until it looks great. But once i refresh the data - I lose everything and am left with the default blue bars. Is there a work around ?

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Use this code and change the color code to your desire.

Code:
Private Sub Chart_Calculate()
    Dim intSeries As Integer
    Dim intPoint As Integer    
    With ActiveChart
       For intSeries = 1 To .SeriesCollection.Count
           With .SeriesCollection(intSeries)
               Select Case intSeries ' may need to extend cases
               Case 1
                   .Interior.ColorIndex = 41
               End Select
               .ApplyDataLabels
               .DataLabels.Position = xlLabelPositionInsideEnd
               .DataLabels.Font.Bold = True
               For intPoint = 1 To .Points.Count
                   End Select
                   .DataLabels(intPoint).Top = .DataLabels(intPoint).Top - 20
               Next
           End With
       Next
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
that is a very fustrating feature - i have to record a macro of all the formatting changes required for each chart then assign said macro to a button so whenever the pivot tables get refreshed, its then a simple button push to get the charts back looking nice.

its a big pain too :confused:

i will try that code sometime vane :)

Upvote 0
I have a couple of questions and need some direction

I pasted the code into a module. Changed the formatting of the pivot chart, and refreshed the data. The chart reverted back to the default blue bars. I looked to run the macro from Tools> Macros and there were none listed. Went back to the VBE and ran the macro and got a Compile Error: End Select without Select Case. What did I do wrong ?

Thanks again for the help

MJK

Upvote 0
Yes, that is a downside of pivot charts (and pivot tables). Several formatting options get reset each time the table/chart is refreshed.

What you should do is create custom code that makes the changes you want. To do that, select the PC, then turn on the macro recorder (Tools | Macro > Record new macro...), do the customization you want, and turn off the recorder. Now, earch time you redo the chart, select it and run the code.

Edit: Alternatively, you can do what I do often. Use the data from the pivot table but create my own 'regular' chart. Now, the chart refreshes whenever the PT does but it doesn't lose any formatting -- with the added benefit that there is no code to worry about.

MJK said:
I've been expermenting with pivot charts. They work great, but all you can get when using a bar chart is a blue bar. I tried reformatting the chart, changing the bar colors, adding values - until it looks great. But once i refresh the data - I lose everything and am left with the default blue bars. Is there a work around ?

Upvote 0
I have gone this route in the past, and it works great if you only have a few charts. I have about 500 charts that need to be generated on a monthly basis and pasted into powertpoint. With the help of the board, I have been using a macro with cycles through all the data in a pivot chart, and bulk loads to chart picture into powerpoint. Could I record a chart formatting macro which will loop everytime the pivot is refreshed ?

Thanks for the hlep

MJK

Upvote 0
Does it not work if you right click on the chart, go to options and turn auto format table off? You shouldn't loose the formating when it is refreshed.

Upvote 0
I see that option for the pivot table, but not for the chart.

The available chart options are Titles, Axes, etc.

Am I missing something ?

Upvote 0
Wait a minute did you go to the Pivot Chart tab right click and click on view code and paste the code in that window. It should work.

Upvote 0
Vane

That's what the problem was - I moved my pivot chart to the same sheet where my pivot table resides. The code worked great when the pivot chart is on its oun sheet.

Is there a way of modifying the code so it will work when to pivot chart is moved to the same sheet as the pivot ?

Thanks
MJK

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back