Couting occurances of a word across multiple worksheets

wmsbutler

Hi,

I'm trying to create a timesheet in excel so I can get a better handle on how many hours each of my employees are spending on a particular client's business. Each employee has a worksheet within the overall workbook and they then select from a drop down list on an hourly basis the client they have been focused on. The drop down list is updated as and when new clients / projects commence.

On a worksheet at the back of this workbook I am trying to tally up the hours spent against each client by week. This involves a formula which needs to pick up the occurance of certain words across certain ranges of cells. Here is an example of the formula I am using to pick up work on one particular client across the course of a week ("Rumble" is the word I am looking to pick up).

=SUM(LEN(Anna!B2:H25)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(Anna!B2:B25,"Rumbles","")))/LEN("Rumbles")+SUM(LEN(Bob!B2:H25)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(Bob!B2:B25,"Rumbles","")))/LEN("Rumbles")+SUM(LEN(Dionne!B2:H25)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(Dionne!B2:B25,"Rumbles","")))/LEN("Rumbles")+SUM(LEN(Emily!B2:H25)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(Emily!B2:B25,"Rumbles","")))/LEN("Rumbles")+SUM(LEN(Helen!B2:H25)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(Helen!B2:B25,"Rumbles","")))/LEN("Rumbles")+SUM(LEN(James!B2:H25)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(James!B2:B25,"Rumbles","")))/LEN("Rumbles")+SUM(LEN(Martin!B2:H25)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(Martin!B2:B25,"Rumbles","")))/LEN("Rumbles")+SUM(LEN(Ric!B2:H25)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(Ric!B2:B25,"Rumbles","")))/LEN("Rumbles")+SUM(LEN(Simon!B2:H25)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(Simon!B2:B25,"Rumbles","")))/LEN("Rumbles")+SUM(LEN(Will!B2:H25)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(Will!B2:B25,"Rumbles","")))/LEN("Rumbles")

This is being entered as an array formula.

The problem is that this is working for "Rumble" but when I try to copy the formula into other cells and try to get it to search for other words it no longer does.

Is this the right forumla to be replicating? Is there an easier way?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Will

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Something like;

Code:
=SUM((COUNTIF(Anna!B2:H25,"*Rumble*"))+(COUNTIF(Bob!B2:H25,"*Rumble*")))

Any use?

Upvote 0
List the sheet names in a range of cells, let's say L2:L10, then try...

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&$L$2:$L$10&"'!B2:H25"),"*Rumble*"))

or

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&$L$2:$L$10&"'!B2:H25"),"*"&M2&"*"))

...where M2 contains Rumble.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
One further question now I've got the sheet up and running. Could you advise me of a faster way to update the elements of my forumla across cells.

E.g. I now have a column which totals up activity in week 1:

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&$A$75:$A$84&"'!B2:H25"),"*Rumbles*"))
=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&$A$75:$A$84&"'!B2:H25"),"*R&R*"))

etc... for each of the acitivites I want to cover.

Now for week 2, the formulas need to change to this:

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&$A$75:$A$84&"'!I2:O25"),"*Rumbles*"))
=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&$A$75:$A$84&"'!I2:O25"),"*R&R*"))

Given I have 42 different activities and need to update them all for 52 weeks of the year, an automated way of updating those cell references (e.g. B2:H25 to I2:O25) would be gratefully received!

Thank you in advance,

Will

Upvote 0
Let a range of cells, let's say B75:B116, contain the list of activities such as Rumbles, R&R, etc., then enter the formula in the target cell, let's say C75, copy the formula down and across...

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(OFFSET(INDIRECT("'"&$A$75:$A$84&"'!B2:H25"),,COLUMNS($C75:C75)*7-7),"*"&$B75&"*"))

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back