Cascading Drop-Down Menus

tazzz4200

Is anyone familiar with a way to select a drop-down list from a drop-down list in Excel 2003? Have a drop-down list of information, and each entry in the drop-down list would link you to another list. For example

Food: -> Vegs: or Fruit: or Meat:
Vegs Peas Apples Beef
Fruit Carrots Pears Pork
Meat

I've tried using an If statement but despite my efforts, I can only get it to bring up the data in the cell and not the whole drop-down option.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
That was alot of help! But is there a way to have some of the information in the first drop-down point to the same information. For example: if the information in the first drop-down menu was: A Segment, B Segment, and Overlay and I want anything with the word Segment in it to point to the same menu but Overlay point to a different one.

I tried to do a Name with *Segment but that obviously didn't work.

Upvote 0
That was alot of help! But is there a way to have some of the information in the first drop-down point to the same information. For example: if the information in the first drop-down menu was: A Segment, B Segment, and Overlay and I want anything with the word Segment in it to point to the same menu but Overlay point to a different one.

I tried to do a Name with *Segment but that obviously didn't work.

=INDIRECT(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Segment",F2)),"Segment",F2))

where F2 is a data validated cell.

Upvote 0
You are helping me immensely! One last question, is there a way that if you go back and change the input in the first cell that the second cell will reset so invalid data doesn't just remain there?

Upvote 0
You are helping me immensely! One last question, is there a way that if you go back and change the input in the first cell that the second cell will reset so invalid data doesn't just remain there?

That requires VBA. Maybe there is already some code posted under the quoted link, which handles that issue.

Upvote 0
Can you create a drop-down (validate data) from a list in another worksheet? I know this is a basic question but from what I have found, they say no.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back