page numbers for workbook with multiple worksheets

kimbo

I have a workbook with 40 worksheets. Each worksheet is two pages of printing.

I would like to add page numbers that apply to the workbook as a whole (i.e., when I print the "entire workbook"). In other words, I would like to end up with page numbers one through 80.

Does anyone know a way to do that "automatically" (i.e., without going in and numbering each page one at a time)?

Thanks. -- Kimbo

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Two ways: first, on each of the sheets in the footer section of page setup, choose to place &[Page] of &[Pages] ; once done, whenever selected worksheets are printed there will be a page x of y at the bottom.
Another way is via macro, but I really think this would suit better. Will post a macro solution if wanted.

Upvote 0
Thanks, just_jon.

I applied the suggested footer (i.e., &[Page] of &[Pages])to each worksheet. However, the page numbers start over at "one" for each worksheet. I want all worksheets in the workbook to be considered as a unit.

In other words, I got this series of page numbers: 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 . . .). What I want is this: 1, 2, 3, 4 . . . 80).

Do you know why I'm not getting the result that I want?

Thanks. -- Kimbo

Upvote 0
One quick way is, after you page setup, select all the sheets that you want to print, that will make them be as a 'group' as you said.

Also, in Print, select 'Entire Workbook' and that will make the whole book as a 'group'.

Juan Pablo G.
MrExcel.com Consulting
This message was edited by Juan Pablo G. on 2003-01-28 18:48

Upvote 0
A "manual way" to select all sheets for printing is to single-click on the vey first sheet, then with the shift key held dodn, click on the last sheet prior to printing; this will ensure that "Page of x" refers to the entire selection. (This also works for any 2+ sheets selected within the workbook, as long as they are sequential.) Sorry I was not clearer earlier... but now it is later and I really must go-er!

Upvote 0
Here’s what I’m doing:
1. Select all of the sheets that I want numbered by clicking the first sheet, holding down the “Shift” key, and clicking the last sheet.
2. In Page Setup – Header/Footer – Custom Footer, click in the “Right Section.”
3. Click the “#” button, space, type “of,” space, click the “++” button. The resulting syntax is as follows: [&Page] of [&Pages].
4. Click “OK” and “OK.”

I’m still getting the same result. The numbering starts over with each sheet, instead of considering all of the sheets to be a single document.

What am I missing?

Upvote 0
What should be showing up, instead of what you are getting, is:
&[Page] of &[Pages]
your version has the & within the []; not sure how that happened, but...what you have in your last post should have worked. Anybody else?

Upvote 0
My mistake. The syntax came out as just_jon said it should (i.e., &[Page] of &[Pages]).

However, the page numbering still starts over with each sheet.

Upvote 0
Are you sure you are selecting all the sheets to print at the same time? For instance, clicking on sheet1 and hitting print, then clicking on sheet2 and hitting print will cause the page numbering you describe. However, clicking on sheet1 , then shift+click on sheet{last} and hitting print should glue all the page numbering together.

Upvote 0
Thanks. That solved it.

I was entering the page numbers correctly. However, when I checked the page numbers to see if they came out correctly, I was going into one sheet at a time.

Thanks for your help. -- Kimbo

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back