Plagued by recurring parses...

FredK

I find that when parse data (text to cols), whenever I copy new data, Excel automatically parses to the previous parse format.

This creates real problems when I have to record or write VB code to handle a number of different sets. So far the only way I've gotten around this is to initiate another Excel process.

What's the trick to eliminating Excel-parse-dejavu?

Thanks,
FredK

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
are you doing this using vb code? if so, post up your code so we can take a look....

Upvote 0
This has been bugging me for a while, specially when pasting sample data from the Board.

I opened NotePad, typed in 123 456 789, copied it to the Clipboard, right clicked cell A1 in a blank worksheet and chose Paste Special, Text. It all appeared in one cell so I chose Data, Text to Columns, specified Space as the delimiter and clicked finish. Now it was in 3 columns as I wanted.

I right clicked cell A2 and chose Paste Special, Text. The data appeared in 3 columns - Excel-parse-dejavu as you say.

So I selected a single cell with some data, chose Data, Text to Columns, cleared the Space check box and clicked Finish. I right clicked cell A3 and chose Paste Special, Text. Bingo - it all appeared in one cell!

Thanks for prompting me to find a solution.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I understand. Is your problem that:

1] you do a text-to-columns paste (lets say, 3 text values in A/B/C), then
2] on the same sheet, same area, do another, over-writting, text-to-columns, where
3] the new data is *supposed* to be text number text, but it still
4] shows up as text text text

Is this the problem you are describing? Or is Andrew's problem what you are experiencing? Sorry for being dumb... still on 1st cuppa java.

Upvote 0
just_jon said:
I'm not sure I understand. Is your problem that:

1] you do a text-to-columns paste (lets say, 3 text values in A/B/C), then
2] on the same sheet, same area, do another, over-writting, text-to-columns, where
3] the new data is *supposed* to be text number text, but it still
4] shows up as text text text

Is this the problem you are describing? Or is Andrew's problem what you are experiencing? Sorry for being dumb... still on 1st cuppa java.

Jon,

The OP said "I find that when parse data (text to cols), whenever I copy new data, Excel automatically parses to the previous parse format."

I take that to mean the scenario I described.

Upvote 0
Parse dejavu solved..

Mr. Andrew Poulsom was kind enough to solve my problem. See his post -- it also includes a rather elegant demonstration of the exact problem I've been having!

After looking at the mechanics of the situation, I relized that Excel - in it's fuzzy logic world - ASSUMES that you'll want to use the same parsing criterion on subsequent parse operations. In my case this is certainly not true!

To "reset" the parse specifications, one would have to access the dialogue box and "Uncheck" all specifications. This is what Mr. Poulsom does in his example.

Taking it one step further, a call to the code I've included below (sub ParseSnip() ) will do the same. Using it BEFORE a Text to Col operation will prevent parse-dejavu!

Thanks, again, Andrew
====================================

Sub ParseSnip()
' Resets Parse Specification after text to columns
Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=ActiveCell, DataType:=xlDelimited, _
TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=False, _
Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=False, Other:=False, FieldInfo _
:=Array(1, 1)
End Sub

Upvote 0
How about the oposite of this??? If I keep the Excel spreadsheet open the "Text to Columns" settings are mainted for me as I paste into and "save as" the workbook, but when I close and reopen the sheet (the next day), it reverts back to the default settings. Is there a way I can make the selections I choose (space delimited) save as the default for this workbook, so that who ever opens it gets these parsing options?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danger_SF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back