Filesnack closed down. Alternatives?

DocAElstein

Banned user
Hi.
. At short notice one of the popular free file sharing sites, Filesnack. has closed down. (Yesterday!)
In threads I mostly use the MrExcel HTML Spreadsheet maker and MrExcel HTML Code maker as then everyone viewing can see wot is going on. However occasionally it was helpful additionally to get or send an Excel File over Filesnack. I only began using Filesnack as I noticed some Board regulars were using it.
. I have no experience of the alternatives (suggested now by Filesnack in their closing down statement yesterday): Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, ShareFile.
. I would welcome comments or recommendations from experienced users on these alternatives.
. Thanks
Alan_E

I use Dropbox, OneDrive, Box and Google Drive. No issues with any of them.

Hi,
Just a bit of a bump, or rather follow on question.
. With Filesnack I had the option to see how many times my File was looked at and / or downloaded. I do not think that option is there with the other providers. I am trying to check that with them but thought in parallel I would ask if anyone here can correct me on that one and in addition ask if anyone can please tell me if You know of a provider that does have this option and that You have used and can therefore recommend
Thanks again,
Alan

You can get a personal cloud storage like Backup & restore - Data restores file access - Features | Mozy. Should come out cheaper specially if you use it for more than a year.Box is also very powerful. SpiderOak is very secure and recommended by Wiki Leaks and Snowden.
There also many more alteratives - another good one is Tonido which allows you to access a HD or a folder via their software. Give it a look!

You can get a personal c..........
... ...
....... Give it a look ...​

Hi cerfe,
. Thanks for the reply. I will give 'em a try. I have been using in the meantime mostly Box , sometimes DropBox. But I am still looking for one that gives
the option to see how many times my File was looked at and / or downloaded. ........
. Have not found one that does that yet.
. Just hit on "JustCloud". Trying that. But I am mainly just lookin for a free provider I can use for dropping off files to people in Forum Threads. The "Cloud - Back - Up" Scene is not really my thing. I think other Forums have an attachment option for that. But MrExcel doesn't - they prefers you to use Screen Shots that can be copied to a File, for example with the stuff I mention in my Signature below. They are great tools, I use them extensively and allways encourage people to use them as then everyone viewing the Thread can see clearly wot is going on. But there are occaisions when it is useful inaddition to drop off a file.
Alan Elston

P.s. Welcome to the Board.
Good wishes for you and everyone here in the New Year (My first post in 2015!)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back