reply typing very frustrating

I had this problem myself when I first started using MrExcel and my post above solved the problem. If you search the MrExcel database you will see others have had this issue.

When we are already talking about typing...

I see one flaw in the design of the reply interface.
It is the fact that after hitting "Reply to Thread" this button does not disappear or fade out, but remains there and is visually the most prominent one. At the same time it becomes a trap for users: its sole function in the reply mode is to erase the whole content of the typing area. I do not know any "Undo".
To the contrary, "Post Quick Reply", the one the user would naturally prefer to use, is small and relatively hard to spot. Therefore it is not so difficult to use "Reply to Thread" instead of the intended "Post Quick Reply", causing often the loss of a significant amount of work. I fell victim to this button many times and would recommend disabling it when the user is already typing the reply test.

Best,

J.Ty.

That may be so, but it seems to me using compatibility mode is addressing the symptoms, not the cause. I'd be surprised is a very large percentage of this site's users aren't using IE 11 - without difficulty.
That may be so, but it is a very quick & easy remedy for users trying to post.
Do you have any suggestions for ways to track down what else might be the cause/solution?
It would seem to relate directly to the interaction of IE with the forum's version of vBulletin since, as far as I can recollect, no users of other browsers have reported this issue. It also only seems to have arisen from IE11, not earlier versions.

I see one flaw in the design of the reply interface.
It is the fact that after hitting "Reply to Thread" this button does not disappear or fade out, but remains there and is visually the most prominent one. At the same time it becomes a trap for users: its sole function in the reply mode is to erase the whole content of the typing area. I do not know any "Undo".
To the contrary, "Post Quick Reply", the one the user would naturally prefer to use, is small and relatively hard to spot. Therefore it is not so difficult to use "Reply to Thread" instead of the intended "Post Quick Reply", causing often the loss of a significant amount of work. I fell victim to this button many times and would recommend disabling it when the user is already typing the reply test.
What you describe appears accurate but for some reason I don't think I have been a victim of that one. Must have been lucky and developed the habit of going to the 'Post Quick Reply' button early on. :)

Given that MrExcel does not write the underlying forum software and the forum administrators are reluctant to take on modifications as they often turn out to be time-consuming &/or create other difficulties, I suspect it is unlikely to change.

That may be so, but it is a very quick & easy remedy for users trying to post.
Do you have any suggestions for ways to track down what else might be the cause/solution?
It would seem to relate directly to the interaction of IE with the forum's version of vBulletin since, as far as I can recollect, no users of other browsers have reported this issue. It also only seems to have arisen from IE11, not earlier versions.
It may be related to add-ons the users run alongside IE. Since I haven't experienced the problem, I can't say what add-ons might be the issue. For someone with the issue, progressively disabling add-ons and checking whether the problem goes away might turn up a culprit, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back