Cannot use the "table" feature when posting

whovis

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to post an example on the forum, using the "table" button. It posts nothing but code. See below...

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Any help would be awesome.
Warren

haha... it didn't even post the code this time. In the preview it was there.

Please help!!

It is supposed to look like code until it is posted, preview post shows as it actually shows when posted but it will appear as code in the your message / reply box.

When you can see it in preview post box if you scroll down you will find the message /reply box where it looks like code and you can edit the message.

Personally I prefer to use something like the MrExcel HTML maker or Excel Jeanie (see my signature for links to both) but that is my personal preference.

It is supposed to look like code until it is posted, preview post shows as it actually shows when posted but it will appear as code in the your message / reply box.
……

Hi Mark,
. It appears that the OP joined the Forum about the same time as me last May. So his editor maybe set to Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
. That is the default editor I had. I think he should then see his table as a table in both the reply and the preview window. I do when I use Google Chrome or IE 9 Browser.
. If he has his editor set to Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls I would have thought he might see code in the reply window, as you suggest. , - But I just tried changing my settings and I still see an actual table both in the editor and the Preview window using Google Chrome.
. Using IE 9 it is as I expect. - I Always see table in the preview. In the reply window it is a table with settings 0f Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing but code as you suggest with settings of Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls
. Clearly there is a Browser issue that is a never ending problem
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/833749-problem-wirh-ie-11-settings.html
that changes from time to time!! ..This may confuse the issue for the OP…

. Note also. There is another issue. It has been reported that sometimes things “vanish” or change if attempting to Edit a Post. Again this is a recurring inconsistent problem

. I am with you in preferring to use the available Forum Tools

Alan
…………….

haha... it didn't even post the code this time. In the preview it was there.

Please help!!

Hi whovis

. 1 ) What Browser are you using ?

. 2 ) Remember if you are in the reply window you must select Go Advanced to get the Table Option Icon to come up at all

. 3 ) How exactly are you using the Table Button. What are your precise steps?

. 4 ) What sort of data are you attempting to Post?

. 5 ) Finally, but not least. You will often find annoying issues, sometimes Browser related to the use of the Table Button. It also does not produce such a clear table for posting.
. I would agree with Mark and strongly recommend you learn to use one or more of the Forum Tools indicated in our signatures. It is well worth it in the long run. I personally would prefer the Post Range Screenshots (Win & mac) as it has the latest Mr Excel HTML Maker but in addition a BB Code Generator. This has options for giving an output that looks like a spreadsheet or a simple Table. Up until now it seems the most Bullitt proof Tool I have tried.
. But again that is just a personal preference.

. 6 ) Note: To use any of these tools you do not need to “make” a table in the editor. – The Tools are Add-Ins that allows you to copy parts of your Spreadsheet to the Clipboard. You can then paste into the forum editor and you get a screenshot looking similar to a spreadsheet (with sheet name info etc,. ) and that screenshot is capable of being copied by anyone trying to help you into their Spreadsheet.

. Alan

Last edited:
Hey Alan and Mark,

Thanks for the information. Using Internet Explorer 11.0.4, Windows 7, Service Pack 1.

I asked a question last year when I joined. I was able to create a table, to show my data, and explain exactly what I was trying to accomplish. The user that replied was able to give me the best formula (happened to be a vlookup).

I am trying to post another scenario. I am trying to work within the parameters of a pre-designed template for a project. However, the template does not put the information in a nice, neat row/column format. Secondly, the template repeats itself, creating a page of information. I want to list out the data on a separate sheet, and have it populate on the first sheet, within the template.

I was trying to use the table function to show exactly (as close as possible) what the template looked like.

When I try and insert the table, I get this type of code. Not a table.

"
"
" "
" "
" "
" "
" "

So I am doubly afflicted...

Thoughts?
Warren

Thoughts?
Warren

What do you see here:

Using Excel 2007
Tabelle1

and here:

HTML:
[color=lightgrey]Using Excel 2007[/color]
[size=1][Table="width:, class:grid"]
[tr][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]

[/table][/size][Table="width:, class:grid"][tr][td][color=darkblue][b][size=4]Tabelle1[/size][/b][/color][/td][/tr][/table]

and here:

Using Excel 2007
Tabelle1

and here:

Using Excel 2007
ATable
for you
Tabelle1

approximate details of what you see will do

Last edited:
I see a 2x3 table.
some html code.
a 2x3 table.
a 2x2 table with words in it.

When I make the post, I see the code. When I post the post, the entry has nothing in it. just a blank space...

If I could just cut and paste from excel, it would save a lot of time.

Interesting that every icon on the table tool bar is greyed out...

@whovis, are you wrapping the code in any form of tags?

. 1 ) Copy that code in the HTML Code Window and paste it in a reply to me

. 2 )

If I could just cut and paste from excel, it would save a lot of time.

Interesting that every icon on the table tool bar is greyed out...

.... That is exactly what all the Forum Tools are about

Fancy having a go at installing one of those Add-Ins?. I can help if you have difficulties maybe..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back