Likes Given & Received

bs0d

In user profiles, wouldn't it make sense to list out the posts for likes given and received when you click on the respective links?

When I click on them, it just returns a bold text for the number of likes received. No other information provided. I would use this as a way to track some of the best posts and code threads, but if there's no way to review the likes you've given, having the feature becomes nearly useless.

Unfortunately, Likes really have nothing to do with the actual thread/response quality. If you need to keep track of certain threads, then I'd suggest bookmarking them.

Unfortunately, Likes really have nothing to do with the actual thread/response quality. If you need to keep track of certain threads, then I'd suggest bookmarking them.

Member profiles provides hyperlinked "Likes" text that go nowhere. What I'm saying is, when clicked, why not return the liked posts? The connection is already made. It's a simple query that is not meaningfully different than querying the posts and threads by username.

Y'all can do this or not, it's your forum. It just seems intuitive enough, everything is already in place and I know I would find it useful.

Y'all can do this or not, it's your forum. It just seems intuitive enough, everything is already in place
Some of your assumptions here are not quite accurate.

1. We did not create the forum software. We use vBulletin (you can see the link at the bottom of their page).
2. This is a feature of the software, and I am pretty sure that we do not have the ability to change how it works (at least not without adding a bit of customized programming -- something we avoid whenever possible because of the stability issues customization adds).

This topic was discussed in detail some time ago in this Forum. If you are interested in the details, you can try searching for it.

No need to critique fragments of my comments like we're on a trial. But I'll take the bait and state the obvious that while my comment read, "...it's your forum" I intend for this to be interpreted as being something that someone here owns or has some degree of control over.

It doesn't surprise me someone brought it up before. Ignore it, take it to heart, I don't particularly care. It was just a suggestion, not an attack. I would say you've got a community of savvy programmers here, I don't think it would be much of an issue to implement- even if it is vBulletin.

Cheers,

No need to critique fragments of my comments like we're on a trial.
Sorry, just felt like you were oversimplifying the process without really knowing much about it, and I will admit we Moderators sometimes do get tired about having the same discussions over and over again.

I would say you've got a community of savvy programmers here, I don't think it would be much of an issue to implement- even if it is vBulletin.
There is some history here. Its really not a matter of how difficult it would be to do this. There are other factors at play. Years ago, we had some customization, and because of the customization, one of the board upgrades brought the board down for a considerable amount of time. It was really a mess. So there was a conscious decision made to avoid any unnecessary customization, in order to reduce the number of potential issues and keep the board running smoothly.

A similar Forum ExcelForum.com which also vBulletin software has had an increasing lot of Software problems recently, to the point that one gets the imprecision it might be on the verge of total collapse. There have been suggestions that could be partly due to attempts to do too much customising.

I think it is good to put suggestions for improvement here. It is good to take interest, I feel. But you will find it unlikely that any action can or will be taken, for the reasons already discussed.
( Maybe vBulletin has an “About the Software” Forum where some of the things could be suggested? )

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back