Code tags

Encouraging New members to read up on FAQ, Forum Posting Guidelines, and using Forum Tools.

Hi Micheal :)

Why do we continue to allow the increasing posting of untagged code ?
The guidelines advise in.....
Posters seem to be oblivious to this requirement, even when a response to them suggests they do it in future !!...
Oh yeah......
2 pet title hates......." easy question" AND "hard question for Experts only"....
Managing and Enforcing Rules and posting suggestions and encouraging them in a free Forum is a difficult thing I guess. :(
I did a similar Thread some time ago
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/lounge...rum-posting-guidelines-using-forum-tools.html
It did not get much response, But that is just due to the good points raised here, - The many prominent ( including you ), all volunteer, members are All very busy answering loads of Excel Questions.

I was talking mainly talking in that Thread about the Forum Screen Shot Tools, which when used, are a very distinguishing characteristic of Mr Excel encouraging as much as possible in the Thread, which , I think, benefits everyone. That’s even more difficult to get OP’s to use than Code Tags. #.......Code tags, #, are so easy to use ,.... but as you say, still it seems to take a while before the “penny drops”... probably did take a while to sink in with most of us if we can remember! -
I noticed some Mods like Rory said, “give up” now with trying to encourage Code Tags: instead they just add the Code tags themselves and be done with it. Again down to the Active Mod at the time. ... and, again, if they have time...

I did have a feeling there was a recent increase in the “New - one Poster, - Badly explained - text type, - unsupported with data or codes” Type question..
But maybe that is a bit more noticeable now with the new Account Name prefix ★ ( and <marquee direction="down" width="95" height="40" behavior="alternate" >
<marquee behavior="alternate">
<strike>strike through</strike>
</marquee>
</marquee> )

You can play around with the statistics a bit...
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/lounge-v-2-0/805892-lot-new-member-posts=1-today.html#post3941342
( Hit Top Near Left:-Community link --- Member’s list ---- Right Near Top:-Search members ---- Advanced Search ----- Then just put 2 in Post Count –- is less than --- do the search:
That gives today 157615 / 351,255 = about 45% of Members
Of course that does include, Spammers, Lurkers
( taking out the 0 Poster 17 % , Posters with 1 – 2 posts is 30 %, Poster 1- 3 posts 38% etc. )
Or
I had a feeling maybe it is inevitable that short poorly explained questions will come in a lot more: As a result of the “Chitty chatty, “Smart phone” mentality” – people will conveniently “drop of a quick few words” explaining their problem on the off-chance they get a response, - if not, nothing is lost to them.
Bottom line, as Jon said, you decide what you answer.
It Can be a bit off putting though if you struggle to give a good answer and the OP never replies, which also seems to be happening a lot more recently.. But again that was also always a bit apparent always..
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/lounge-v-2-0/814398-how-important-excel-forums-2.html#post3985673

This thread , with a bit of language problem as well, is just one at random of many Threads i thought i should be able to answer in the last few days, but is just so badly and briefly described, emphasising all the points discussed here
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/936319-help-asap-visual-basic-applications-loop.html
The Forum seems to be cluttered just recently with these sort of Threads...

_.........

Last couple of ideas

_1) With the “welcoming Email” for a new member a note about the Tools, Code Tags ( with links ) might help a bit, ( And a Big Red ( or Orange.. ) Please Read Forum Rules and Guidelines ( with Links ) but again the same problems – a Mod has to find the time to do that and there is the danger a new OP will just ignore it all.

_2 ) This following idea has been effective for me sometimes:
When I had a solution I replied to a poorly described ( or poorly with data supported ) Question to say I think i have a good solution, but need some data, preferably using the Tools and or / ask for the code in Code tags. Also if I have time I will try to advise how to do that. I then say i will post when i get that info.
Trying to enforce Rules / Posting suggestions can be a bit Draconian and off – putting, so this is an attempt by me to be a catalyst to push a user who desires a solution to stay real and post a bit better, rather than just giving up, and going off and trying his / her luck again with another poorly quick written question.
(... But i confess, if i have spent some time preparing an answer, then i am eventually going to post it anyway.. eventually....)
....But _2) is a bit impractical for you guys – you answer so many and don’t have the time for all that..Keep up the good work, I certainly appreciate it: :)
The bad feedback, as Jon said, not even a thanks, can be the most off- putting.. very alienating.
You Guys will notice that not as much, i guess, – you are so busy answering so many questions that you will always get some feedback and not notice the ones that never reply....

Alan

<marquee direction="down" width="30" height="40" behavior="alternate" >
<marquee behavior="alternate">
<strike>:)</strike>
</marquee>
</marquee> )

<strike>Alan Elston</strike>

Last edited:
Re: Encouraging New members to read up on FAQ, Forum Posting Guidelines, and using Forum Tools.

When a spammer is identified and banned, their posts are permanently deleted.

That may effect your calculations (though unverified against the system)

( Hit Top Near Left:-Community link --- Member’s list ---- Right Near Top:-Search members ---- Advanced Search ----- Then just put 2 in Post Count –- is less than --- do the search:
That gives today 157615 / 351,255 = about 45% of Members
Of course that does include, Spammers, Lurkers
( taking out the 0 Poster 17 % , Posters with 1 – 2 posts is 30 %, Poster 1- 3 posts 38% etc. )

Re: Encouraging New members to read up on FAQ, Forum Posting Guidelines, and using Forum Tools.

Hi Mole, :)
When a spammer is identified and banned, their posts are permanently deleted.
That may effect your calculations (though unverified against the system)....

...yeah..
It increases the number of members I think... So actually means i think that some of my numbers are underestimates in terms of % of "real members"... but all depending on which figures you are talikng about..

... I am not sure if you can do a search to count for Spammers, that would be nice to know , just out of interest...

But those calculations werte not a big issue, just lounging and noting it all out of interest really.
_... The community Type search is one maybe many people had not noticed.
..:)

Alan

Actually a small positive note... I had a feeling the Spammers were not so noticable just recently.. Thanks maybe to you and the other Mod's efforts,
;)

Last edited:

spammers are dealt with as found, and if not, when reported

Encouraging New members to read up on FAQ, Forum Posting Guidelines, and using Forum Tools.

I bet this is a Dopey question, :p, so apologies in advance for it..

Is there any way to supply an OP ( maybe at registration ) with a File that somehow has, or sets up, initiates, or whatever, Add-Ins like Forum Tools and the MrExcel BB Code generator?
So that they have it up and running automatically as it were... without having to Install it.

( I have a File with most of the “Add-Ins” kicking about as “stand alone” codes, which comes close to that... )

Technically possible to push software, circumventing installation onto a system very difficult (and so it should be), I don't want anything on my system that I haven't specifically put there.

Technically possible to push software, circumventing installation onto a system very difficult...
Thanks Mole,
_...thought it was probably a "no go-er", just thought I would check
Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back