Summarizing Columns:

This is a discussion on Summarizing Columns: within the Easy-XL Add-In forums, part of the MrExcel Products category; When summarizing sheet 5, Easy-XL recognized all columns with data. Then I went to sheet 6 to summarize the columns ...

Board Regular

Default Summarizing Columns:

When summarizing sheet 5, Easy-XL recognized all columns with data. Then I went to sheet 6 to summarize the columns and it would only recognized 3 of the seven with data. In all cases, I am summarizing one column each time.

Default Re: Summarizing Columns:

Easy-XL determines which columns are numeric by looking at the first couple of rows of data (after the column headings in row 1). Make sure there are numbers in there by changing any blanks to zeros.

Board Regular

Smile Re: Summarizing Columns:

The column that was not being recognized was a "concatenate" column. I then tried to copy and "paste special" and using values only. When I manually typed in the numbers, they where recognized. I was not going to type a column of 12,000 numbers. Then using regular Excel 2007 and trying to do STDEV of the column both ways and found it will not function. My conclusion is that it is certainly not Easy-XL, it is just Excel. My work around was to use the numbers when they were in their individual cells.

Board Regular

I am, of-course, evaluating Easy-XL and finding most features fantastic. I deal mostly with numeric-data analysis. Most worksheets contain 100 plus columns of data. Summarizing each column is what I need most. It comes up with the right statistics for the column with he most rows or any other column with that same number of rows, but the columns containing less rows gives the wrong statistics. Easy-XL deletes the blank cells but only below the end of the longest column. The shorter the column the more blank items it contains. I can take one of the shorter columns a put it on a separate worksheet and every thing is fine. I can not afford to build a workbook with a thousand worksheets.

Without being able to visualize your data it's hard to tell what statistics you're generating from the data in each column so I'm not sure what to suggest in terms of what you could do with Easy-XL (or ActiveData, it's big brother).

Please feel free to email a small sample sheet to support at easy-xl dot com along with a description of the stats you're trying to generate. I'll take a closer look.

Board Regular

I sent you an email yesterday with samples. I stated that with valued columns Easy-XL worked great and did not count blank cells. Today it is. I did the first ten columns without any problems. The next columns started recording the blanks (where ever they come from) which makes the statistics wrong. I then went back to the first column, which was corrrect the first time, now it is recording blanks. I put a single column on a single sheet, Easy-XL ask to delete the blanks and when I give it permission, it erases all the data. I am perplexed.

Board Regular

The summery is missing the header in front of "count" and is displaying an extra "MeanMinus3SampleStdDev" were "MeanMinus3PopStdDev" should be.

Sorry for the delay. Our power was out since last night and has only just come back. To make matters worse, one of our servers in Texas has gone "read-only" and it looks like they'll need to provision us a new one. Unfortunately, Easy-XL.com is on that server so I can't get at the email you sent.

To make it up to you I can offer you a free license for Easy-XL (if you decide it would be useful that is!)

I'll look at your problem as soon as we're back up. You're #1 on the list.

Board Regular

Cool Re: Summarizing Columns:

I may be dumb but not foolish, I certainly would appreciate the free license, especially knowing I will need to purchase a 64bit version soon. I have Window 7 and Office 2010, probably for two years. Just slow I guess.

Speaking of slow, in three days of continuous pursuit of answers, I may have stumbled on a way to make this work. I will send you details and examples via email. It has to do with Paste Special were not only checking the values only box but also skip blanks box. I like to call them the ghost blanks because I cannot see them. I hope it will contribute in some small way.

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others