HELP! - Undo a Save!

Glen

Well I did something really stupid!

I made some major changes to huge spreadsheet and went to click on "save as" and ended up clicking on "save".

Now this wouldn't be so bad, because I backed up my files every evening. BUT, I spent several hours this morning on this spreadsheet and yes, saved it, but then I decided to delete much of the data to save under a different file name (save as) and accidently clicked "save" instead. My work from this morning (several hours worth) is gone!!

So my question is: Is there any way to Undo a Save? If I could just go back one Save, I would have my work back. I use Excel 97, and Windows XP. Anything? I don't use autosave. But does Windows or Excel save a previous version of the file somewhere. Or if I could Undo about 3-4 steps with the Undo button, I would also have my work back.

The spreadsheet is still running and I have not touched a thing since I hit the "save" button. But of course the Undo button in this case has been reset.

Any help?

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Excel resets UNDO as you say on save, so no undo, unless you saved a vesions that is.

I once had a VBA script that would go back regardless, and it did this by off save the wksheets to temp and then pulling them back at each save, but i never got on much with that one, maybe on this information a GURU programmer might know how to do this.

But i fear a little late in the day now.

I know no fix sadly.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply!

I was just hoping to perhaps find the file saved in some "Temp" folder somewhere. I mean Excel must have a folder like this somewhere for autosaves, undo's etc. Perhaps something can be salvaged from it.

Also, XP is real big on restoring. I know this is mostly for drivers and system files, but possibly somewhere it might take a snapshot of the user files.

Just thought I would explore my options here, before moving on to redo my work.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I believe the Temp file would have been updated at the same time as the saved file.
But you could go into explorer and do a file search by date and time and see if you can find any newly created files. This new file could be a backup that your not aware of.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back