HELP! - Undo a Save!

This is a discussion on HELP! - Undo a Save! within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Well I did something really stupid! I made some major changes to huge spreadsheet and went to click on "save ...

Well I did something really stupid!

I made some major changes to huge spreadsheet and went to click on "save as" and ended up clicking on "save".

Now this wouldn't be so bad, because I backed up my files every evening. BUT, I spent several hours this morning on this spreadsheet and yes, saved it, but then I decided to delete much of the data to save under a different file name (save as) and accidently clicked "save" instead. My work from this morning (several hours worth) is gone!!

So my question is: Is there any way to Undo a Save? If I could just go back one Save, I would have my work back. I use Excel 97, and Windows XP. Anything? I don't use autosave. But does Windows or Excel save a previous version of the file somewhere. Or if I could Undo about 3-4 steps with the Undo button, I would also have my work back.

The spreadsheet is still running and I have not touched a thing since I hit the "save" button. But of course the Undo button in this case has been reset.

Any help?

Board Regular

Excel resets UNDO as you say on save, so no undo, unless you saved a vesions that is.

I once had a VBA script that would go back regardless, and it did this by off save the wksheets to temp and then pulling them back at each save, but i never got on much with that one, maybe on this information a GURU programmer might know how to do this.

But i fear a little late in the day now.

I know no fix sadly.

Free Excel based Web Toolbar available here.

Jack in the UK
    J & R Excel Solutions
    "making Excel work for you"

Thanks for the reply!

I was just hoping to perhaps find the file saved in some "Temp" folder somewhere. I mean Excel must have a folder like this somewhere for autosaves, undo's etc. Perhaps something can be salvaged from it.

Also, XP is real big on restoring. I know this is mostly for drivers and system files, but possibly somewhere it might take a snapshot of the user files.

Just thought I would explore my options here, before moving on to redo my work.

Thanks

MrExcel MVP

I believe the Temp file would have been updated at the same time as the saved file.
    But you could go into explorer and do a file search by date and time and see if you can find any newly created files. This new file could be a backup that your not aware of.

<MARQUEE>...........Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic...............The easiest thing to find is fault, don't be easy !.. --Anonymous--...</marquee>

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others