Gathering data from different documents

Mark Smith

Hello. I'm wondering if there is any way that I could write some sort of formula that could take a certain number, or numbers, from all the documents in one folder, and place them in a row on one document. Like say, tell it to go to folder "May 2002", and go to cell D14 of every document in that folder, and place it in such and such a place. Is that possible? Thanks!
Regards,
Mark :)
This message was edited by Mark Smith on 2002-06-06 18:40

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
You seem to be looking for a VBA solution. But i think you should prpopably start by using manual formulas.
Try opening the two workbooks. and then making a fomula bwtween them.
so type in = and then change sheets and click on the cell you want to reference. then check the formula and see what it says.

This is a good way to start!

Upvote 0
Hi, I am no excel expert, but I have dealt with exactly this problem (many many many times)...

Your formula, in your target cell, target file, should refer to the reference directory, reference file name, reference file name SHEET name, and cell number like the following...

Formula in target cell:

='Folder1:Folder2:[ReferenceFileName]ReferenceSheetName'!$E$1

My example; I needed to call upon data from 400 different spreadsheets, and place that data on a single spreadsheet. I made sure that the location of each and every piece of data I needed was in the same cell of each and every reference file

Those files are all kept in the Folder 'Root:KnipovichALL', each file has the SAME basic name structure, with the only difference between files being the number tag at the end.. (K2KNmeas0001, 0002, etc); and the data I wanted was ALWAYS in Cell E1 (or F3, or whatever)...

Like so.

='Root:KnipovichALL:[K2KNmeas0001]K2KNmeas0001'!$E$1

Upvote 0
sorry, I posted my last post before seeing that danielc has responded - I'll have a look at your post now! :)
regards,
Mark

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back