Format Cell: Align by Decimal

spiegeld

I have numerous reports that are supposed to align numbers by the decimal place. Until now, I have been copying over to MS Word tables and using the simple 'Center on Decimal' tab-stop but I would prefer to stay in Excel for reporting.

Any ideas on how I might create a custom number format to make a column line up by decimal?

Thanks much

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Just change the format of the cells to Accounting, and change the symbol to "none" if you don't need it.

Hope this helps,

Upvote 0
You can also use the "Number" format, any number of decimal places, as long as it's the same number of places for the entire column.

Upvote 0
On 2002-06-25 06:39, Von Pookie wrote:
Just change the format of the cells to Accounting, and change the symbol to "none" if you don't need it.

Hope this helps,

That doesn't work for me.
What should the cell format look like?

Upvote 0
There is no specifc format, really.

Say you have the number 123.45 in cell A1, and 123456.78 in A2. Select those cells, go to Format|Cells and on the Number tab, choose Accounting from the list. Change the symbol and number of decimals if you need to, then click OK.

This should line the numbers up at the decimal point, as well as adding commas if necessary. When I did it, it also automatically resized the column.

Upvote 0
But that is what any number format does if you have a fixed number of decimal places.

The original question was about having variable decimal places but with the decimal point centered.

Upvote 0
Ah. Well, if the original post had perhaps mentioned this factor, then that would have gotten on the right track.

In this case, I can't help.

Upvote 0
On 2002-06-25 07:42, Von Pookie wrote:
Ah. Well, if the original post had perhaps mentioned this factor, then that would have gotten on the right track.

In this case, I can't help.

Sorry. You are right about the original post not mentioning it.
I was looking at another post (http://www.mrexcel.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=12447&forum=2&1) which wanted to center the decimal with varying decimal places.
Too many open windows!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back