Conditional Formatting Borders

This is a discussion on Conditional Formatting Borders within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Does anyone know how to make thicker borders using the Conditional Formatting option? The options they give you are all ...

Does anyone know how to make thicker borders using the Conditional Formatting option? The options they give you are all thin borders.

First, format thick borders around the entire range of those cells you want, then conditional format those cells with "cell value is" "not equal to" or "less than", etc., etc. the criteria you DO NOT WANT with a border, and set the border format to "None".
    Barry-

Photo Restoration/Enhancement

http://www.smiledogproductions.com
    click below for detour

I want to make thicker borders WITH CONDITIONAL FORMATTING. Your suggestion, Mr. Werewolf, has nothing to do with my plan here. I would like to conditionally format cells that are empty to have THICK RED borders and ones that are full to have THICK GREEN borders. I know how to write the code to do the borders, but they are THIN, not THICK! Someone that does not turn hairy under a full moon please help me.

[ This Message was edited by: cjm205 on 2002-06-26 10:51 ]

Well, cjm, as you know, there is no option in conditional formatting for a thick line. My suggestion was for an alternative method, perhaps giving the same result. But I do appreciate your response, thanking me for my effort.
    Barry-

Photo Restoration/Enhancement

http://www.smiledogproductions.com
    click below for detour

Default Re: Conditional Formatting Borders

Well I want to thank you! Years later your post was still helpful to someone, and even though you were very clear the other person just did not understand your directions. I wish rude people who ask for help would stay away from all forums until they learn how to properly talk to others.

Talking Re: Conditional Formatting Borders

Time has marched on for a long time since the original posting, but I now also need to thank the "Awesome" Mr Katcher for his knowledge & guidance on how to achieve this somewhat 'weird' way of formatting cell borders!!!

The border formatting rules are still the same in Excel 2010 & although it took me a while to achieve exactly what I wanted to, at least I had a baseline to start from!

THANK YOU!

shawthingz

Hi,
    How would you do the formatting for "does not equal"? For example, I had wanted to do conditional formatting (with the thick borders) for =$K7="$", but seeing as there is no "thick" options for borders, I'll try Barry's idea of starting with thick borders and formatting every line that K7, K8, etc, is NOT $.
    Thanks,
    Becca

Nevermind, I've got it figured!
    =$K&<>"$"
    Thanks!

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others