Merging cells --> Option greyed out. Help?

easportsguy

Hi everyone,

I tried scouring the forums for an answer without luck, hopefully someone can assist.

I have a group of cells that I would like to merge (A533:A555).
I need to have the text in these cells merged and centered across the span of the cells vertically.

I have the EXACT type of merged cell in the document already, but I am unable to 'Copy and Paste' my previously merged selection where I would like to.

Right now, If I highlight cells A533:A555, the 'Merge and Center' icon on the formatting toolbar is greyed out, and I cannot click it.

If I Right-Click my selection and select 'Format Cells', under the 'Alignment' tab under 'Text Control' the 'Merge Cells' option is also greyed out.

I have selected the range of cells and there is 'No Fill' applied to the selection

For the life of me I cannot figure it out, and the Microsoft Help text is useless because it assumes that the 'Merge and Center' icon is NOT greyed out.

Any and all help is very appreciated. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
I'll reply to myself in the hopes that someone will get help.

Check to see if your doc is shared. Tools --> Share Workbook.
If the doc is shared, unshare it, and then attempt to highlight the cells and see if the 'Merge and Center' is available.

Worked for me and I paid a guy a cookie for his time :)

(And I don't know why the Microsoft Help wouldn't tell you to try that!)

Upvote 0
Thanks for answering your own question. I have the same problem. However, I can not seem to un-share my file. I am the creator of this file and I never wanted it to be shared...I don't know how it turned into a shared file. File_name [Shared]. I have saved it as another name with no effect.

?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back