search text in multiple excel files

a_c1

How can i search multiple excel files in different directories for a text string.
I use "Search for Files and Folders" provided by Windows OS but sometimes it works & sometimes it does not.
Can anyone please guide?
Thanks
AC

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Hi, welcome. When you are "opening" a file in Excel, you have an "Advanced" option. That allows you to search for specific files, in specific folders that have specific conditions (Lots of specifics :wink: ). One of them is to search the contents of the file.

Upvote 0
Hi! Thank you for your reply. That was very quick.
I have done that but it does not always work.
I use Windows 2000 OS & go to
Start -> Search -> For Files or Folders -> I enter my string in "Containing text" box but it works on some excel files & does not work on some excel files even though those files have that data.
I guess this is same as Find -> Files or Folder -> Advanced -> Containing text , that you are referring to.

Upvote 0
Actually, I was talking about Excel directly.

(Menu commands in Excel XP)

File | Open, Tools | Search..., you can add conditions for:

"Text or property", "File Name", "Title", and many others.

I don't know, don't think, that it uses the same "code" as Windows' find tool.

Upvote 0
How can i search multiple excel files in different directories for a text string.
I use "Search for Files and Folders" provided by Windows OS but sometimes it works & sometimes it does not.
Can anyone please guide?
Thanks
AC

There is a free tool to tag your files by author, item, time etc ("Tag-it"). It provides a web form to search by tags and content calling automatically Vista search function (see http://www.tag-it.eu and its help section). If you have XP you need also Windows Desktop Search who indexes all the folders you provide in configuration. The search is very precise and fast because files are indexed offline

Upvote 0
I think TextFinding.com may help you! It is a good and useful tool to search all types of files in different directories for a text string.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back