will this date function work?

This is a discussion on will this date function work? within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hi, I finally got a function together that I THINK will work, but I'm not sure how to test it. ...

Hi,
    I finally got a function together that I THINK will work, but I'm not sure how to test it. The idea is that I need my macro to set cell A1 to hold the first day of next Monday's month. If today is Monday, then it should use today, NOT next monday.
    a few examples:
    Running the macro today gives 8/1/2002
    Running it on 8/25/2002 gives 8/1/2002
    Running it on 8/26/2002 gives 8/1/2002
    Running it on 8/27/2002 gives 9/1/2002
    Running it on 9/01/2002 gives 9/1/2002

I don't know how to test my code for running on any day other than today because it makes use of the "Today()" function and I can't get it to work using a variable instead.

Here's my code:

Dim dayOfWeek
    Dim nextMonday
    Dim aMonday
    Dim numDays
    numDays = 7
    aMonday = 2
    dayOfWeek = Weekday(Now)
    nextMonday = (numDays + aMonday - dayOfWeek) Mod numDays

Range("A1").Formula = "=DATE(YEAR(Today()+" & nextMonday & "),MONTH(Today()+" & nextMonday & "),1)"

I'd appreciate any comments on whether it will work and how to test it!

Thanks in advance
    Christine

I just realized that my code can't use the Today() function anyway because I don't want that date in A1 to ever change, but with my code it will change over time. Any suggestions??? PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,
    Christine

Board Regular

I would suggest following code:

Dim aMonday
    Dim numDays
    Dim testDate
    numDays = 7
    aMonday = 2
    testDate = InputBox("Enter the date of test (eg. 6/28/02): ")
    Range("A1").Formula = "=IF(OR(WEEKDAY(""" & testDate & """)=1,WEEKDAY(""" & testDate & """)=2),DATE(YEAR(""" & _
    testDate & """),MONTH(""" & testDate & """),1),IF(AND(""" & testDate & """+" & numDays + aMonday & "-WEEKDAY(""" & testDate & _
    """)>EOMONTH(""" & testDate & """,0),MONTH(""" & testDate & """)<>12),DATE(YEAR(""" & testDate & """),MONTH(""" & _
    testDate & """)+1,1),IF(AND(""" & testDate & """+" & numDays + aMonday & "-WEEKDAY(""" & testDate & _
    """)>EOMONTH(""" & testDate & """,0),MONTH(""" & testDate & """)=12),DATE(YEAR(""" & testDate & """),MONTH(""" & _
    testDate & """)+1,1),DATE(YEAR(""" & testDate & """),MONTH(""" & testDate & """),1))))"

It seems a little bit complicated but it takes into account all possible situations during a calendar year. Good luck.

Here's an alternative macro.

[A1].Formula = "=IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY())=2,TODAY()-DAY(TODAY())+1,TODAY()+7-MOD(TODAY()-2,7)-DAY(TODAY()+7-MOD(TODAY()-2,7))+1)"
    [A1] = [A1].Value

If you want to test this macro, enter some dates in column B, in the formula per the macro change all the TODAY() to B1 (using find/replace), run the first line only of the macro (to enter the formula in A1), fill down the formula on the worksheet.
    The same can be done to test your macro.

Board Regular

Here is another alternative.
    this will place the date in A1 and will only change if you run the the macro.

Sub insertdate1()
    [a1] = DateSerial(Year(Date), Month((Date) + (8 - Weekday(Date, vbMonday))), 1)
    End Sub

regards tommy

Great! I got it working. Thank you all so much

Christine

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others