will this date function work?

cspritke

Hi,
I finally got a function together that I THINK will work, but I'm not sure how to test it. The idea is that I need my macro to set cell A1 to hold the first day of next Monday's month. If today is Monday, then it should use today, NOT next monday.
a few examples:
Running the macro today gives 8/1/2002
Running it on 8/25/2002 gives 8/1/2002
Running it on 8/26/2002 gives 8/1/2002
Running it on 8/27/2002 gives 9/1/2002
Running it on 9/01/2002 gives 9/1/2002

I don't know how to test my code for running on any day other than today because it makes use of the "Today()" function and I can't get it to work using a variable instead.

Here's my code:

Dim dayOfWeek
Dim nextMonday
Dim aMonday
Dim numDays
numDays = 7
aMonday = 2
dayOfWeek = Weekday(Now)
nextMonday = (numDays + aMonday - dayOfWeek) Mod numDays

Range("A1").Formula = "=DATE(YEAR(Today()+" & nextMonday & "),MONTH(Today()+" & nextMonday & "),1)"

I'd appreciate any comments on whether it will work and how to test it!

Thanks in advance :)
Christine

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
I just realized that my code can't use the Today() function anyway because I don't want that date in A1 to ever change, but with my code it will change over time. Any suggestions??? PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,
Christine

Upvote 0
I would suggest following code:

Dim aMonday
Dim numDays
Dim testDate
numDays = 7
aMonday = 2
testDate = InputBox("Enter the date of test (eg. 6/28/02): ")
Range("A1").Formula = "=IF(OR(WEEKDAY(""" & testDate & """)=1,WEEKDAY(""" & testDate & """)=2),DATE(YEAR(""" & _
testDate & """),MONTH(""" & testDate & """),1),IF(AND(""" & testDate & """+" & numDays + aMonday & "-WEEKDAY(""" & testDate & _
""")>EOMONTH(""" & testDate & """,0),MONTH(""" & testDate & """)<>12),DATE(YEAR(""" & testDate & """),MONTH(""" & _
testDate & """)+1,1),IF(AND(""" & testDate & """+" & numDays + aMonday & "-WEEKDAY(""" & testDate & _
""")>EOMONTH(""" & testDate & """,0),MONTH(""" & testDate & """)=12),DATE(YEAR(""" & testDate & """),MONTH(""" & _
testDate & """)+1,1),DATE(YEAR(""" & testDate & """),MONTH(""" & testDate & """),1))))"

It seems a little bit complicated but it takes into account all possible situations during a calendar year. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Here's an alternative macro.

[A1].Formula = "=IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY())=2,TODAY()-DAY(TODAY())+1,TODAY()+7-MOD(TODAY()-2,7)-DAY(TODAY()+7-MOD(TODAY()-2,7))+1)"
[A1] = [A1].Value

If you want to test this macro, enter some dates in column B, in the formula per the macro change all the TODAY() to B1 (using find/replace), run the first line only of the macro (to enter the formula in A1), fill down the formula on the worksheet.
The same can be done to test your macro.

Upvote 0
Here is another alternative.
this will place the date in A1 and will only change if you run the the macro.

Sub insertdate1()
[a1] = DateSerial(Year(Date), Month((Date) + (8 - Weekday(Date, vbMonday))), 1)
End Sub

regards tommy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back