Hide column or worksheet permanently ?

Steve P

Hi,

I was wondering whether it is possible to hide a column or row permanently in the sense that a user cannot unhide the column or row. Is this also possible with a worksheet ?

It should basically work as a protection. I have a sheet which I give to users, but they are not allowed to see one specific row/column and one sheet within the workbook. The rest of the workbook is free for reading and editing.

Do I need VBA or can I stick to an Excel feature ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards
Steve P

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

Lock only the cells within the column you wish to hide and unlock the others. If you then protect the sheet, the hidden column cannot be unhidden.

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Could you please specify a bit more ? I am not sure about locking cells...

Also how would this work with a worksheet ?

Thanks for your time.
Regards
Steve P

Upvote 0
sheet2.Visible=xlSheetVeryHidden

This will make sheet2, well, "very" hidden in that the user can not unhide it.

Unfortunately a column does not seem to have a corresponding "extreme prejudice" sort of property.
This message was edited by jemand on 2002-08-11 19:12

Upvote 0
Hey there Steve. Click on cell A1 in your worksheet. Now press CTL + A to select all the cells in your worksheet. With all the cells selected, right click on select FORMAT CELLS. The very last tab that will appear on the pop-up menu is PROTECTION. By default, all cells are LOCKED. This means that once you lock a worksheet, the cells cannot be changed. You want to take the checkmark out of the LOCKED box so that all of the cells are now UNLOCKED. (By the way, the hidden box only means that once the worksheet is locked, the FORMULAS are hidden and cannot be seen in the formula bar.)

Now you want to click on the column header that you want to protect. This should highlight the entire column. Once again, right click and select FORMAT CELLS. Then from the protection tab you want to LOCK the cells. Now hide the column. Once you have hidden the column, go to the top of the worksheet and select TOOLS......PROTECTION....PROTECT SHEET.

Did this help?

Upvote 0
Yes, this helps and it works beautifully !

Thanks for your instructions and what a great forum this is !

Regards
Steve P

Upvote 0
This really is an INCREDIBLE place to turn to if you ever need help. Let me know if I can ever help again.

Upvote 0
hi,

i'm trying everything that i have read here and elsewhere and what i have been told by fellow workers but nothing seems to be working to hide specific columns.

i have unprotected my whole sheet, and just protected the columns i want hidden, protected the sheet, but the columns become visible as soon as columns either side are selected and unhide is clicked or they have been double clicked to stretch to their full potential.

am i doing something wrong?
is there another way to hide columns?

any help?!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back