Simple Date Calculation - Length of Service

This is a discussion on Simple Date Calculation - Length of Service within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; I have two date fields, and I want to calculate Length of Service, showing the results in years and months. ...

I have two date fields, and I want to calculate Length of Service, showing the results in years and months. I seem to have forgotten my beginning excel formulas.

Thanks!

On 2002-08-22 10:12, stacyen wrote:
    I have two date fields, and I want to calculate Length of Service, showing the results in years and months. I seem to have forgotten my beginning excel formulas.

Thanks!

MrExcel MVP

=DATEDIF(A1,A2,"Y")&" years "&DATEDIF(A1,A2,"YM")&" months"

On 2002-08-22 10:12, stacyen wrote:

Thanks!
    =DATEDIF(A13,B13,"y")&" yrs "&DATEDIF(A13,B13,"ym")&" months"

=DATEDIF(A1,B1,"y")&"."&DATEDIF(A1,B1,"ym")

=YEARFRAC(A1,B1)

Default Re: Simple Date Calculation - Length of Service

What if I want Length of Service in Years, Months and Days? I have used a formula off here and while it seems to work the days have 12 decimal places. I don't need or want decimal places in my days. Any other formula I use seems to come up with answers like 133 days or something really off like that. I'm not sure what is going on. I am using two fields, one for the current date [which is itself a formula] and one with the Full Time date of the employee. This is the formula I used:

=YEAR($A$3)-YEAR(N5)-(TEXT($A$3,"mmdd")< TEXT(N5,"mmdd"))&" years "&MOD(MONTH($A$3)-MONTH(N5)-(DAY($A$3)< DAY(N5)),12)&" months "&$A$3-MIN(DATE(YEAR($A$3),MONTH($A$3)-(DAY($A$3)< DAY(N5))+{1,0},DAY(N5)*{0,1}))&" days"

This is the answer I get using the date of 1/12/12 and 7/23/07
    4 years 5 months 20.30211261574 days

????

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others