How to test if a specified cell contains a formula?

lovallee

Board Regular
Hello

Which formula can I use to test if a specified cell contains a formula?

Louis

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Now I have a similar question: When a student enters just a number in a cell I can use your ISFUNCTION VBA to test for that.
Students sometimes will curcumvent ISFUNCTION by entering =1234 (that is, an answer without showing the formula to get it).
How do I test for "=" followed by only a number?

Upvote 0
Now I have a similar question: When a student enters just a number in a cell I can use your ISFUNCTION VBA to test for that.
Students sometimes will curcumvent ISFUNCTION by entering =1234 (that is, an answer without showing the formula to get it).
How do I test for "=" followed by only a number?
Not sure what you're asking about.

If a user enters the following in a cell:

=1234

The IsFormula UDF correctly evaluates that to be a formula and =IsFormula(A2) returns TRUE.

Are you saying that this type of formula should not be considered a formula for your own purposes?

Upvote 0
Hi, Biff,

For the example I used, a student problem might be "Add multiply 1.234 by 1000."
I'm trying to test for EITHER if a student has entered a number, e.g. 1234 in a cell, or =1234, instead of the equired math frormula solving the problem.

So, yes, I would like both 1234, or =1234 to return FALSE.

Do you have a suggestion how to test if either a number or a number (only) following an equal sign is present?

Upvote 0
ARRGH. I should have said:
For the example I used, a student problem might be "Multiply 1.234 by 1000."
and pay attention to what I wrote...
Dave

Upvote 0
Hi, Biff,

For the example I used, a student problem might be "Add multiply 1.234 by 1000."
I'm trying to test for EITHER if a student has entered a number, e.g. 1234 in a cell, or =1234, instead of the equired math frormula solving the problem.

So, yes, I would like both 1234, or =1234 to return FALSE.

Do you have a suggestion how to test if either a number or a number (only) following an equal sign is present?
How are you implementing this?

Let's assume the user enters either 1234 or =1234 in cell A2.

Are you wanting to enter the IsFormula function in a cell or, are you using the IsFormula function as a conditional formatting rule to highlight cells?

If you're entring IsFormula in a cell, which cell?

Upvote 0
I'm entering this formula in a "grading" cell, say for your example where the student entered their answer in A2, the "grading" cell might be D2.

Upvote 0
I'm entering this formula in a "grading" cell, say for your example where the student entered their answer in A2, the "grading" cell might be D2.
Ok, you'll need another UDF...

Code:
Function GetFormula(cell_ref As Range) As String
    If cell_ref.HasFormula Then
    GetFormula = cell_ref.Formula
    Else
    GetFormula = ""
    End If
End Function

I'm not sure what result you're wanting so I'll just show you what I've done and we can tweak as needed.

If the user enters a formula like =1234 or just a number like 1234 in cell A2...

This formula entered in D2 will return FALSE:

=IF(IsFormula(A2),IF(COUNT(-SUBSTITUTE(GetFormula(A2),"=","")),FALSE,"OK"),IF(COUNT(A2),FALSE,"OK"))

If the user enters some other formula like =10*2 or =SUM(X1:X10) then the formula will return "OK".

Upvote 0
Hi, and thanks.
I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.
I tried the GetFormula() UDF in a module where I also had your IsFormula() UDF, for the following cell reference arguments: 3, =3, and =3^2.
IsFormula returned, in the above order, "FALSE", "TRUE", "TRUE" to these three arguments.
GetFormula() returned "#Name?" to all three.

Am I doing something wrong here?
Dave

Upvote 0
Hi, and thanks.
I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.
I tried the GetFormula() UDF in a module where I also had your IsFormula() UDF, for the following cell reference arguments: 3, =3, and =3^2.
IsFormula returned, in the above order, "FALSE", "TRUE", "TRUE" to these three arguments.
GetFormula() returned "#Name?" to all three.

Am I doing something wrong here?
Dave
What version of Excel are you using?

When cell A2 contains:

3, the result in cell D2 should be _____.
=3, the result in cell D2 should be _____.
=3^2, the result in cell D2 should be _____.
nothing (the cell is empty or blank), the result in cell D2 should be _____.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back