Convert chart to data - don't have source data

This is a discussion on Convert chart to data - don't have source data within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; I've been given a chart via email, and it is just the chart sheet itself - the source data is ...

Board Regular

Default Convert chart to data - don't have source data

I've been given a chart via email, and it is just the chart sheet itself - the source data is on a client's hard drive somewhere. I can't get to it. (Politics - our salesperson is afraid to ask for such a simple thing, lest the client think we consider him stupid to have provided the chart and not the data, and thereby be embarrassed and/or insulted.)

Is there a way to extract the data from the chart itself? I can activate data labels and re-type it manually, but a VBA or other automated solution would sure be nice.

Thanks!

Board Regular

When you click the chart series, do you see a reference to a cell range or an array of numbers?

Board Regular

Oh, yes, I can read the reference allright. The source data is right on the client's hard drive. It shows up in Edit -> Links, too.

It looks something like:

='C:\Profiles\phoneyclientname\Local Settings\Temp\[spreadsheet_name.xls]Page_Name'!$A$5

Fat lot of good it does me!

Obvioiusly, the data does exist in the file I have, or it could not be displayed in the chart, nor could I activate labels and see the values. (Which I can.)

It's there somewhere. But how do I get to it?

Board Regular

BTW, the workbook is not protected and there is no hidden data sheet. I should have mentioned that in my first post.

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others