how to auto lock a cells value after data entry

This is a discussion on how to auto lock a cells value after data entry within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; I wish to know is it possible to lock a cell automatically after data is entered and saved ..ie I ...

Board Regular

I wish to know is it possible to lock a cell automatically after data is entered and saved ..ie I enter data in rows is certain columns so that after I save it, so that who ever opens it the next time should not be able to change that cell value but only enter new data in a subsequent row cell..and also is there a way where only I can change that cell value by using say a password..

MrExcel MVP

Maybe this can help you.

I created a new workbook, selected all the cells, and UNCHECKED the locked option for all of them.

Next, I protected the sheet, using as password

Password

then, I put this code in the Sheet's module.

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    ActiveSheet.Unprotect "Password"
    Target.Locked = True
    ActiveSheet.Protect "Password"
    End Sub

Then, everytime I change a cell, it becomes locked, that means that you can't write on it again.

You could modify them later using Tools | Protect | Unprotect sheet, and supplying the password (Password in this case)
    Regards,

Juan Pablo González
    http://www.juanpg.com

Board Regular

thanks Juan...

Default Re: how to auto lock a cells value after data entry

Hi, the code works well, but I need to lock the entire row or a defined range in that row, like A1:G1. Also, as a correction if the user wants to leave a cell blank, it should stay unlocked as if there was never anything entered in it before. Scenario. User enter the date in A1 and later wants to delete it. He will first unprotect the sheet and clear the contents of he cell A1. At this point, base on the condition that the cell is empty it should stay editable.

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others