Reducing fractions to lowest terms.

Allen Sundholm

Hi

For the purposes of my job in a government titles office, where at times I have to work out fractions resulting from people transfering parts of a part-share of ownership in land, I prepared a small one-page speadsheet where one can automatically calculate what fraction results when part of a fraction (being a share in land) is being transferred, and what the residue fraction will be. To verify that the calculations are correct, the sum of both of these fractions must always add up to 1 when entered correctly. (I use conditional formats to chnage cell colours to indicate incorrectly-entered fractions).

I use two rows of cells, the top row being for the numerators, and a second row beneath for the denominators. Thus I am not limited by Excel's built-in limitation of 3 digits in benominators in expressing numbers as fractions, and I can automatically calculate for very large unusual fractions I sometimes encounter, such as "what is 489/7896 th's of the transferor's 6784/762543 th share of the land, and what is the fraction of the whole of the land that the transferor keeps?", and so forth. Note that in my job all fractions, being for ownership shares in land, are "proper" fractions.

The spreadsheet all works beautifully. However, just "one leeeetle thing" still needs to be done: the resulting fractions are not, if reducable, automatically reduced to their "lowest terms". If they were able to be reduced, this would make life easier for the next guy who looks at that land title. So I would need to show the reduced fraction on the spreadsheet similarly, i.e. with the reduced numerator in the top cell and the reduced denominator in the cell beneath.

Alas, I don't know how to do this auto-reducing bit, as I am a bare beginner at using Excel. All I can tell you is that in order to do so, my searches on the net show that there are diferent ways of finding the lowest terms, but all appear to involve finding the numerator's and denominator's prime factors, in my case separately, and seeing if they divide wholly, or something like that (yeah, I hate maths too!) thus reducing a fraction to its "lowest terms".

Could some kind soul please possibly assist?

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
oops - I meant to say, of course, "the sum of both of these fractions, plus the fraction held by other parties not involved in the transaction, must always add up to one"!

Upvote 0
Hi Allen

This was a part of a top priority personal project: to teach fractions to my daughter.

I believe I tested it for numbers until 1000 or so and it worked. These last minutes I did some tests with bigger numbers and it also seems to work.

As you can see by the formulas are easy, I let excel do the work for me and just extract the result.

I just divide both terms by their gcd (greatest common divisor)

Let the fraction not simplified be in A3 (numerator) and A4(denominator)

Let the fraction simplified be in C3 (numerator) and C4(denominator)

C3=A3/(MIN(A3,A4)/LEFT(TEXT(MIN(A3,A4)/MAX(A3,A4),"0000000/0000000"),7))

C4=A4/(MIN(A3,A4)/LEFT(TEXT(MIN(A3,A4)/MAX(A3,A4),"0000000/0000000"),7))
Book3
ABCDE
1Simplification
317406=967
Sheet1

Hope this works for your case

Upvote 0
Hello again Allen

I’m sorry but I have done this a long time ago to explain operations with fractions and in this case, although it is correct, there is no need for such complication.

If you want to see a simplified fraction in excel you just have to apply an appropriate format.

The example I gave you

Write in a cell =17406/29034

The value of the cell is 0.5995…

Apply the format “000000/000000” and you see 000967/001613.

Just use a format with enough zeros or excel will round. In this case if you use “0/0” you will see 3/5 which is in fact very close.

Sorry, it’s coming back slowly.

Upvote 0
fractions

Actually, that 2nd suggestion didn't seem to work, or I perhaps I am doing somethng wrong? Nothing happened after I entered the number 17406/29034 into a cell. The cell is formated as a "general number".
In any case, your first solution is what I need, as I need to keep the numerators and denominators in cells one above the other. At the moment I am still trying to figure out why in some cells it works fine, but not in the others...!

Upvote 0
you need a 3rd cell like this..

A1 = 17406 (numerator)
A2 = 29034 (denominator)
A3 = "=A1/A2" (without quotes)

and then format A3 as custom fraction 00000/00000 (or how ever you want)

Upvote 0
duhh, I think I know what I am doing wrong!!! The formula is trying to reduce the fraction to its lowest terms, even when the fraction can't be reduced any further! Am I right?

Upvote 0
If
A1 = 1
A2 = 2
A3 = =A1/A2
and A3 is formatted custom 0000/0000

A3 will equal 0001/0002

I'm sorry I can't be of more help as it is working fine for me

Upvote 0
if you want the numerator and denominator in one cell and to reduce that cell to lowest terms

then put "=17406/29034" in the cell and format as you wish

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back