converting euro decimal/comma to usa comma/decimal

Joe Smith

I have a spread sheet from europe and they format numbers by using the decimal first then comma ..... i.e. the number 22,222.22 comes from them as 22.222,22 ... my question is how do i convert the whole column back to the comma first then decimal .. i have tried highlighting the colum and going to comma but it does not work.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Hi Joe, welcome to the board (y)

Go to:

Tools --> Options --> International (tab) and adjust Decimal and Thousands separator accordingly.

Regards
Jon :)

Upvote 0
Thanks Jon, I tried that before and either i am doing it wrong or it is not working ...... on the spread sheet i received, i highlight the colum, then went to options, international, and that is where i think i get lost .... i am not sure what to do with the decimal box or comma box

Upvote 0
Hmmmmm, perculiar! Ok well make sure that the decimal separator is set to dot and the thousand is set to comma.

If that doesnt work then find and replace (ctrl +H) and replace the dot with nothing. I.e. leave the "replace with" text box empty. Then do a find and replace to change all comma's to dots.

Make sense?

Upvote 0
Select the column with the data, goto Data>Text to columns..., on the 3rd step goto Advanced... and change the Decimal/Thousands seperators.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kj9

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back