vlookup with multiple text value return

Pizzio

I'm trying to create a formula that returns with all the text values for all the conditions. So similar to a sumproduct where the formula returns a summed value of ALL the conditions i need the same but for text. Any ideas???

hello no
hello no
hello yes
goodbye no

formula would return with (no, no, yes).

Is there another formula that can handle up to 500 rows of data? When i used {=substitue(TRIM(MCONCAT(TRANSPOSE(IF(Reference!$B$2:$B$250=C9,Reference!$V$2:$V$250,"")),"")),"","")} it #VALUE'd after about 64 rows.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Is there another formula that can handle up to 500 rows of data? When i used {=substitue(TRIM(MCONCAT(TRANSPOSE(IF(Reference!$B$2:$B$250=C9,Reference!$V$2:$V$250,"")),"")),"","")} it #VALUE'd after about 64 rows.

lengthy return strings pre-empts the limits that hold for MCONCAT. I'm not sure whether ACONCAT (code by Grove, available in some of the threads here) would do better. It's worth trying though.

Upvote 0
I tried that and it failed on my end. I was hoping for an example so that I could see what i was doing wrong.

Upvote 0
I've tried using the below formula but I'm still getting a #NAME? reference. I've confirmed that the referece $B$2:$B$250 have no oddities and match what is refelected in cell R250 and $V$2:$V$250 contains a concat formula that pulls together my notes. Any ideas on what i'm doing wrong? Do i have to many rows? is there another formula i should be using that will bring together all by notes?

=SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(ACONCAT(TRANSPOSE(IF(Reference!$B$2:$B$250=R250,Reference!$V$2:$V$250," "))," "))," ",",")

Upvote 0
I've tried using the below formula but I'm still getting a #NAME? reference. I've confirmed that the referece $B$2:$B$250 have no oddities and match what is refelected in cell R250 and $V$2:$V$250 contains a concat formula that pulls together my notes. Any ideas on what i'm doing wrong? Do i have to many rows? is there another formula i should be using that will bring together all by notes?

=SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(ACONCAT(TRANSPOSE(IF(Reference!$B$2:$B$250=R250,Reference!$V$2:$V$250," "))," "))," ",",")

Did you add ACONCAT to your workbook? the #NAME? error would suggest that you probably did not...

Upvote 0
i did with a control ALT enter and it's coming back with NAME?. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong here. Even when dropping the range to 2-25 it's coming back the #NAME? I'm not sure the formula is going to work in this string. Thoughts?

{=SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(ACONCAT(TRANSPOSE(IF(Reference!$B$2:$B$25=R25,Reference!$V$2:$V$250," "))," "))," ",",")}

Upvote 0
i did with a control ALT enter and it's coming back with NAME?. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong here. Even when dropping the range to 2-25 it's coming back the #NAME? I'm not sure the formula is going to work in this string. Thoughts?

{=SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(ACONCAT(TRANSPOSE(IF(Reference!$B$2:$B$25=R25,Reference!$V$2:$V$250," "))," "))," ",",")}

Are Trim, Transpose, and all those spaces really needed?...

=SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT(IF(Reference!$B$2:$B$250=R25,","&Reference!$V$2:$V$250,"")),",","",1)

and its equivalent with ACONCAT would be:

=SUBSTITUTE(ACONCAT(IF(Reference!$B$2:$B$250=R25,","&Reference!$V$2:$V$250,"")),",","",1)

BTW, the code for ACONCAT is:

Code:
Function aconcat(a As Variant, Optional sep As String = "") As String
' Harlan Grove, Mar 2002
    Dim y As Variant
    If TypeOf a Is Range Then
        For Each y In a.Cells
            aconcat = aconcat & y.Value & sep
        Next y
    ElseIf IsArray(a) Then
        For Each y In a
            aconcat = aconcat & y & sep
        Next y
    Else
        aconcat = aconcat & a & sep
    End If
    aconcat = Left(aconcat, Len(aconcat) - Len(sep))
End Function

Upvote 0
If you want to go the UDF route, the first three arguments for ConcatIf mirror the arguments of SUMIF, the optional Delimiter and NoDuplicates arguments are self explainitory.
<table border=1 cellspacing = 0 bgcolor="#ffffff"><tr bgcolor = "#aaaaaa"><td> <td align=center width=49><b>A</b><td align=center width=50><b>B</b><td align=center width=45><b>C</b><td align=center width=114><b>D</b>
<tr><td align=center bgcolor="#aaaaaa"><b>1</b><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000">Hello</FONT><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000">alpha</FONT><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000"></FONT><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000">alpha,beta,epsilon</FONT></tr>
<tr><td align=center bgcolor="#aaaaaa"><b>2</b><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000">hello</FONT><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000">beta</FONT><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000"></FONT><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000"></FONT></tr>
<tr><td align=center bgcolor="#aaaaaa"><b>3</b><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000">goodby</FONT><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000">gamma</FONT><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000"></FONT><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000"></FONT></tr>
<tr><td align=center bgcolor="#aaaaaa"><b>4</b><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000">goodby</FONT><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000">delta</FONT><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000"></FONT><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000"></FONT></tr>
<tr><td align=center bgcolor="#aaaaaa"><b>5</b><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000">hello</FONT><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000">epsilon</FONT><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000"></FONT><td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" > <FONT color="#000000"></FONT></tr></table><table border=1 cellspacing = 0 bgcolor="#ddedcc">
<tr><td colspan=3 align="center">Formulas in this range: </tr>
<tr><td align=center>Range with same formula<td align=center>Cell:<td align=center>holds Formula:</tr>
<tr><td><td align=center>D1 <td align = left >=ConcatIf(A:A,"hello",B:B,",")</tr></table>
Code:
Function ConcatIf(ByVal compareRange As Range, ByVal xCriteria As Variant, Optional ByVal stringsRange As Range, _
                            Optional Delimiter As String, Optional NoDuplicates As Boolean) As String
    Dim i As Long, j As Long
    With compareRange.Parent
        Set compareRange = Application.Intersect(compareRange, Range(.UsedRange, .Range("a1")))
    End With
    If compareRange Is Nothing Then Exit Function
    If stringsRange Is Nothing Then Set stringsRange = compareRange
    Set stringsRange = compareRange.Offset(stringsRange.Row - compareRange.Row, _
                                                stringsRange.Column - compareRange.Column)

For i = 1 To compareRange.Rows.Count
            For j = 1 To compareRange.Columns.Count
                If (Application.CountIf(compareRange.Cells(i, j), xCriteria) = 1) Then
                    If InStr(ConcatIf, Delimiter & CStr(stringsRange.Cells(i, j))) <> 0 Imp Not (NoDuplicates) Then
                        ConcatIf = ConcatIf & Delimiter & CStr(stringsRange.Cells(i, j))
                    End If
                End If
            Next j
        Next i
        ConcatIf = Mid(ConcatIf, Len(Delimiter) + 1)
    End Function

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back