vlookup with multiple text value return

Pizzio

I'm trying to create a formula that returns with all the text values for all the conditions. So similar to a sumproduct where the formula returns a summed value of ALL the conditions i need the same but for text. Any ideas???

hello no
hello no
hello yes
goodbye no

formula would return with (no, no, yes).

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
I am having a hard time understanding your example. Can you clarify, and maybe give a better example with more explanation?

Upvote 0
I can't think of a sensible formula for this, you would be better off with vba or a udf if this would be an appropriate alternative for you.

Upvote 0
Diffy, I think the idea is that the OP wants something to look down the left column and find any instances of "hello" and when it does, adds the corresponding value in the right column to a text string.

Upvote 0
Hi Pizzio:

I agre with Diffy you should describe more clearly what exactly are you trying to accomplish. However, going with Lewiy's understanding, let us have a look at the following ...
y070417h1.xls
ABCDEFGH
1hellono
2hellonohellononoyes 
3helloyesgoodbye   no
4goodbyeno
Sheet12

array formula for cells E2:I2 is ... =TRANSPOSE(IF($A$1:$A$4=D2,$B$1:$B$4,""))

Is this what you are looking for?

Upvote 0
Or

if you are looking for the rsulting entries to be concatenated , then
y070417h1.xls
ABCDEF
1hellono
2hellonohellono,no,yes
3helloyesgoodbyeno 
4goodbyeno
Sheet12 (2)

array formula in cell E2 is ...

=SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(MCONCAT(TRANSPOSE(IF($A$1:$A$4=D2,$B$1:$B$4," "))," "))," ",",")

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the formula Yogi but I seem to be having a special needs moment. I attempted to follow your formula and even copied the entire thing in my spreadsheet and I keep getting the #NAME? value in the cell. I confirmed that there were NO #N/A values or odd data in all referencing cells but i still get the #NAME?, any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Unaffiliated Revenue Daniels.xls
UVWX
541-
542-#NAME?
543-
Combined

Upvote 0
okay so i misspelled substitute but even after correcting the error I get the #NAME? value. Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong here?

Upvote 0
Is MCONCAT in one of the add-ins? Not sure, but I get #NAME? error when I try to use it on it's own so I suspect so. I've only got Analysis ToolPak installed at the moment so it might be in one of the others.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I should have stated that MCONCAT is a function from MoreFunc Add-in and is available for free. There is a link on MrExcel Board to the website for downloading the Add-in.

If you can not use the MoreFunc Add-in, look at the Board for ACONCAT for VBA code instead.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maplemeadows

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back