Excel 2000: Enable Background error checking?

throtmorton

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have a file that works fine in Excel 2003, but not in Excel 2000. (And I don't have access now to 2000 now.)

Is there one way, using VBA, to suppress background error checking in both 2003 and 2000?

Thanks,
Paul

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
What do you expect to gain from doing that (if it is possible anyway)?
Do you expect that it will work when you disable background error checking?
What is the error that is shown when using it in 2000 (I know, you don't have access to it now, but maybe you remember by heart?)

It is perfectly possible that the file uses functionality that is simply not available in XL2000... the code would have to be changed to make it compatible...

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for your help. There have been some things that I've had to remove, various sorts, etc. What happens now is that the little green arrows appear in the cells where Excel 2000 detects inconsistent formulas or errors. This goes on for some time. I'll try to get access to it again and narrow it down.

Paul

Upvote 0
Hi again, from what you say now, I suspect there is maybe no VBA at all in this file? The errors you speak of can be set to ignore (at least manually in the worksheet itself, I don't know how in VBA).

Upvote 0
Hi,

Actually, there is a lot of VBA in the file. The issue is that this is a file I plan to distribute, and figure that some folks will still have Excel 2000. I did get access to 2000 today, but it doesn't appear to have anything to suppress this kind of error checking.

A more serious issue I've encountered is that once I do anything with the file on my laptop with 2000, and save it as a 2000, it will not then subsequently open in 2003.

This error message appears: "File error: data may have been lost" and Excel 2003 just crashes. If I can solve this, then I can live with the other stuff.

Thanks!

Paul

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back