Continuous refreshing

This is a discussion on Continuous refreshing within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Greetings, I've created a macro that loads data from an external source into a series of sheets and then manipulates ...

Greetings,

I've created a macro that loads data from an external source into a series of sheets and then manipulates and displays it as desired. The problem is the data from the source changes frequently, so I need the macro to refresh that data at short intervals, say every 30 seconds or every minute. I've tried doing this with a loop delayed using the Timer function. This works as far as the refreshing is concerned, but it renders Excel useless as you can't operate it (aside from just watching the screen) while the macro is running.

Are there any better ways to do this? For example is it possible to set the macro to run every minute?

Regards,
    Gerald Chappell

Hi Gerald,

Don't suppose you watched a dire sit-com called 'Bread' did you? Nevermind, it was just that 'Greetings' suddenly brought it all back ... Aaarggh

Anyway, I think what you need is to make use of the OnTime function. Have a look at Chip Pearson's site for an example.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm

HTH

EDIT: Typo!

[ This Message was edited by: Richie(UK) on 2002-11-12 08:40 ]

Riche,

No, I've never heard of a sitcom called "Bread." I tend to start general messages and emails with "Greetings" as it seems a little less ridiculuous than "Dear Sir or Madam" or "To Whom it May Concern" Thanks for the reference, I'll read through it, it looks to be exactly what I need.

Regards,
    Gerald

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others