Delete everything in a cell AFTER a comma

This is a discussion on Delete everything in a cell AFTER a comma within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hi I'm a board member in a voluntary organisation and would like to plot our members adresses in a map ...

Default Delete everything in a cell AFTER a comma

Hi

I'm a board member in a voluntary organisation and would like to plot our members adresses in a map using MapPoint.

Our memberlist is in excel with the addresses stated as following: Street #, floor. door/side. (example: Peder Jakobsens Gade 8, 2. th. - (in English: 8 Peder Jakobsens Street, 2nd floor, right))

The thing is just, that MapPoint doesn't recognize a street address if I have informations like floor, door etc. so I need a formula that removes the comma and everything after it.

I found this link: http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=216656 but that seems to delete everything BEFORE the comma, and I can't see how I turn it around - I'm not an excel pro..

SO - Who will help me?

The output data should be (in example) Peder Jakobsens Gade 8 - no comma's and nothing after the comma...

R-D
    Board Regular

Do you need a formula? You can do a search & replace using a wildcard.

Ctrl-H

Search for: ,*
    Replace with: [leave this blank]

MrExcel MVP

As a formula:

=LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1&",")-1)
    Office 2007/2010

Be responsible for the questions you post. If you don't reply to answered questions, be it just a simple "yes, that worked," or even "thanks," the time someone took to help you goes unrewarded.

Do you need a formula? You can do a search & replace using a wildcard.

Ctrl-H

Search for: ,*
    Replace with: [leave this blank]
    You're right ... I was just so focused that this was only possible by using a formula - I didn't think about that I've done this in word a couple of times like you explain it...

As a formula:

=LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1&",")-1)
    Thank you very much - it worked as planned

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others