Conditional Formatting + Rounding

Deb G.

Board Regular
I am trying to put 2 conditional formats on a cell that contains a rounded number. The format is: if the number in the cell is greater than X +2%, then show green; if it's less than X-2%, show red. The problem seems to be with the rounded number. For instance, my conditionally formatted cell contains the number 7.77 but shows as 8. In this case "X" is 10. The result shouldn't be red but that is the way it is showing. How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
In your conditional format formula use:

ROUND(cell,0)

where cell is the reference to the cell you wish to format.

Upvote 0
Thanks Andrew. I'm not sure I understand where the ROUND fits in. Currently, the conditional statement is "if the cell value is greater that $B$8+2%..."and the cell this statement refers to is AB8. AB8 is the cell that also has a previously rounded number.

Upvote 0
Thanks Andrew. I'm not sure I understand where the ROUND fits in. Currently, the conditional statement is "if the cell value is greater than $B$8+2%..." and the cell this statement refers to is AB8. AB8 is the cell that also has a previously rounded number.

Upvote 0
Your cell has the value 7.77 formatted to zero decimal places to displaye 8. Formatting is not the same as rounding - the underlying value is still 7.77. So 10 minus 7.77 is 2.23, which is more than 2.

Upvote 0
I'm stil not clear where the "ROUND" feature is entered in the conditional format. Does it somehow go in the range in both conditions ?? Or is it a third condition??
This message was edited by Deb G. on 2002-11-18 14:16

Upvote 0
You need to use the "formula is" option under conditional formatting rather than "Cell value is" option. A formula to type in could be
=OR(ROUND(H6,0)>$H$4+2,ROUND(H6,0)<$H$4-2)
for Cell H6 compared to the fixed H4.

A quicker fix would simply be to leave your formatting as you have it and check precision as displayed from tools, option, calculations.

Good luck

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back