Excel documents won't open on first try......

UHCW

I am having problems opening Excel documents on first try. If I double click a excel doc icon it will start excel, hang for about a minute and a half then just display a excel blank doc. If I then go back to the original doc icon with excel still open and double click it again the document appears. Can someone please help because I'm slowley losing the will to live !!!

The most common cause I have come across for this is add-ins in one of the startup folders (PDFMaker is a common one). Removing them from XLSTART and installing them properly (if required) seems to resolve that particular cause.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Am using Excel 2007 (XP)and have probs opening saved files. The prog hangs with the hourglass spinning and it 'doing a virus check'. Seems to be either the network (one other machine with Vista, however files are on the local machine mostly) or Norton NAV, so far I'm plugging for the network.:(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That did the trick for me. To prevent it from opening the file twice I had to delete the [open("%1")] from the DDE Message window.

Try this.

Open explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types
Find the .XLS extension and click Advanced
Select the Open bold option and -> Edit
In the box under "Application used..." go to the end and add the "%1" after the /e (inlcude the quotes)

Ok->Ok->Close

I hope it helps.

Upvote 0
Try this.

In the box under "Application used..." go to the end and add the "%1" after the /e (inlcude the quotes)

Ok->Ok->Close

I hope it helps.

If you use the above solution you must remove the "DDE Message" that also has the [%1] command. Keep the "DDE" box checked and things should work. I have been having nothing but problems with Excel 2007. I can't open an Excel 2007 file from a link either. Firefox helped a few times but now it is acting up as well. If my solution fails I apologize but it is currently working for me. Wait till tomorrow when I re-start the computer, then I'll know for sure!

This may need to be done for other Excel file extensions as well.

Upvote 0

Ok->Ok->Close
If you use the above solution you must remove the "DDE Message" that also has the [%1] command. Keep the "DDE" box checked and things should work. I have been having nothing but problems with Excel 2007. I can't open an Excel 2007 file from a link either. Firefox helped a few times but now it is acting up as well. If my solution fails I apologize but it is currently working for me. Wait till tomorrow when I re-start the computer, then I'll know for sure!

This may need to be done for other Excel file extensions as well.

Once I did both of these steps, it worked. Before removing the DDE Message, it opened teh excel file but also told me it couldn't find the file. Thanks for the help

Upvote 0
using office 2010 with Windows 7...had problem for months...tried everything...finally noticed I had compatability mode checked with XP SP2,,,changed to Windows 7...success!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Torchwood72

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back