Compare two Columns to find missing Items

This is a discussion on Compare two Columns to find missing Items within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hi guys, I have not used Excel in a long time and I forgot how to compare two different columns ...

Default Compare two Columns to find missing Items

Hi guys, I have not used Excel in a long time and I forgot how to compare two different columns and highlight or extract the items that are presentin one of the columns but not in the other one.

Thanks in advance...

Default Re: Compare two Columns to find missing Items

So let me make sure I understand you want to check to make sure we'll say column A has a value in say Column B?

A - B
    1 - 2
    3 - 7
    56 - 4
    4 - 56

So would you want 1 and 3 highlighted in Column A and 2 and 7 in B or just column A highlighted. Will both columns have differences? You could use conditional formatting and the match function for this?
    Always make a back up copy before trying new code, you never know what you might lose!

- Posting guidelines, forum rules and terms of use

-Try searching for your answer first, see how

- Read the FAQs

- List of BB codes

"The world suffers a lot. Not because of the violence of bad people, but because of the silence of good people!"

Hi,

You could use a MATCH formula to check if items in one were in another:

=MATCH(A1,$C$1:$C$100,0)

and vice versa.

Dom
    "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch..."

- Guidelines For Posting

- Mr Excel Articles and PodCasts

- Display sheet using HTML Maker or Excel Jeanie

- Something that makes me laugh

- Please try to remember to use code tags when posting your VBA code: [code] Your code here [/code]

I did not explain my self well enough, I have two columns A and B. Column A has more than 1000 rows with diferent skus; then I have Column B with less rows therefore some skus are missing... and I want to know which skus from Column A are missing in column B. Any Idea ?

Thanks

I wouldn't necessarily advise having the data in adjacent columns. The Match formula can be used to check each item in column A if it exists in column B though. Use it in Column C like:

=MATCH(A1,$B$1:$B$2000,0)

and copy it down the lists. Where it finds a match it will return the relative position of the item checked in column A in column B and #N/A for items it can't find.
    "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch..."

- Guidelines For Posting

- Mr Excel Articles and PodCasts

- Display sheet using HTML Maker or Excel Jeanie

- Something that makes me laugh

- Please try to remember to use code tags when posting your VBA code: [code] Your code here [/code]

Thanks man, thats what i just did... and works fine.

Hi, all. I'm trying to do the same thing: I have a two lists of numbers in Columns D & E, Rows 2 thru 163. My formula in F2 is =MATCH(D2,$E$2:$E$163,0). I copied this down Column F thru Row 163. It *appears* to work, in that cells in Column F are populated with correct row numbers for most matches, however where it returns #N/A, (which should indicate that the value in the corresponding cell in Column D is not found in Column E, right?) I can see that it is wrong - at least some of those values ARE found within the specified range in Column E. What am I missing or doing wrong??
    Thanks!

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others