problem with =SUM formula

theegg1984

I am having some strange inaccuracies when using the =SUM forumla. values of certain data entries are finding their way into the wrong sum's and I can't work out why this is the case. For example T56 shows a value of 60 for the field 'Machining' which is included only as a parts cost in the 'Total parts cost' field in column AF, yet its value also appears in the column AE for the 'Total Labour costs' where its data has not been selected.

I was wondering whether it had anything to do with the fact that columns C-D are hidden and that some columns have been duplicating themselves inexplicably, when i have hidden some of these duplicated columns theen some of the inaccurate data in the =SUM formulas have been rectified! Its a bit of a strange problem!

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Can you post your formulas, as well as what you see and are expecting to see using one of the Excel table maker's in the sticky at the top of this board.

Do you have any macros running in this workbook? Your formulas should not be affected by a hide & unhide of columns.

Upvote 0
Can you post your formulas, as well as what you see and are expecting to see using one of the Excel table maker's in the sticky at the top of this board.

Do you have any macros running in this workbook? Your formulas should not be affected by a hide & unhide of columns.

i do have macro's running, but i have turned them off! i'll put the spread sheet up tomorrow morning, i have been doing it all day and i tihnk i'm going a bit mad!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back