Concatenate with multiple "IF" functions

I am trying to establish a form letter that uses multiple choices from a data area to fill in blanks within a text string. My data would be something like this:

A1 = Individual
A2 = Corporation
A3 = Municipality

A6 = Mr.
A7 = John
A8 = Doe ( these three constitute customer's name)
A9 = ACME COMPANY
A10 = City of Dallas

Using a drop-down box I can choose from:
A20 = Individual
Corporation
Municipality

Now my problem arises....I get lost in the multiple "IF" functions. I am trying to come up with something like this to be used in a text string :

If A20 = Individual, Then A6 A7 A8 (A proper name)
If A20 = Corporation, Then A9
If A20 = Municipality, Then A10

The above information would be used in a text string to appear such as:

This Agreement is made between MY COMPANY and Mr. John Doe, an Individual, each hereinafter.......

or

This agreement is made between MY COMPANY and ACME COMPANY, A Corporation, each hereinafter........

or

This agreement is made between MY COMPANY and the City of Dallas, A Municipality, each hereinafter.....

I know this is not correct but the idea of what I want to do is representated below:

=CONCATENATE("This agreement is made between My Company and ", IF(A20=A1, Then A6 A7 A8)IF(A20=A2,Then A9) IF(A20=A3,Then A10),",a ",If(A20=A1,A1)IF(A20=A2,A2)IF(A20=A3,A3),", each hereinafter as blah blah blah.")

I would appreciate any help in getting the IF's and the commas all in the right place. So far I've not been sucessful in doing so.

Thank you in advance...and have a wonderful Holiday Season.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
=IF(a20=A1,"This agreement is made between My Company and "&A6&" "&A7&" "&A8,(a20=A2,"This agreement is made between My Company and "&A6&" "&A7&" "&A9,if(a20=A3,"This agreement is made between My Company and "&A6&" "&A7&" "&A10...

Upvote 0
In my opinion you should use vlookup instead of if . Create an array with all the possibilities .
The function concatenate don´t acept formulas , but acept cell addres , so you should calculate with vlookup and in another cell concatenate.

Sorry if I coul not explain better.

Upvote 0
Another option, choose:

="This agreement is made between my company and "&CHOOSE(MATCH(A20,{"individual";"corporation";"municipality"},0),A6&" "&A7&" "&A8,A9,A10)&", a"&IF(A20="individual","n "," ")&A20&", each referred to blah blah blah"

Upvote 0
On 2002-11-26 13:34, Tuxedo Boston Terriers wrote:
I am trying to establish a form letter that uses multiple choices from a data area to fill in blanks within a text string. My data would be something like this:

A1 = Individual
A2 = Corporation
A3 = Municipality

A6 = Mr.
A7 = John
A8 = Doe ( these three constitute customer's name)
A9 = ACME COMPANY
A10 = City of Dallas

Using a drop-down box I can choose from:
A20 = Individual
Corporation
Municipality

Now my problem arises....I get lost in the multiple "IF" functions. I am trying to come up with something like this to be used in a text string :

If A20 = Individual, Then A6 A7 A8 (A proper name)
If A20 = Corporation, Then A9
If A20 = Municipality, Then A10

The above information would be used in a text string to appear such as:

This Agreement is made between MY COMPANY and Mr. John Doe, an Individual, each hereinafter.......

or

This agreement is made between MY COMPANY and ACME COMPANY, A Corporation, each hereinafter........

or

This agreement is made between MY COMPANY and the City of Dallas, A Municipality, each hereinafter.....

I know this is not correct but the idea of what I want to do is representated below:

=CONCATENATE("This agreement is made between My Company and ", IF(A20=A1, Then A6 A7 A8)IF(A20=A2,Then A9) IF(A20=A3,Then A10),",a ",If(A20=A1,A1)IF(A20=A2,A2)IF(A20=A3,A3),", each hereinafter as blah blah blah.")

I would appreciate any help in getting the IF's and the commas all in the right place. So far I've not been sucessful in doing so.

Thank you in advance...and have a wonderful Holiday Season.

Refine...

="This agreement is made between My Company and "&IF(A20=A1,A6&" "&A7&" "&A8,IF(A20=A2,A9,IF(A20=A3,A10,"")))&",a "&VLOOKUP(A20,A1:A3,1,0)&", each hereinafter as blah blah blah."

if needed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back