Adding Mouseover or Comment to Shapes in Excel

Lerumeur

How can I add a mouseover/comment to an autoshape/freeform shape in excel? Currently I have a shape that runs a macro when clicked. I'd like a little pop up to tell the use what the shape does.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
off the cuff suggstion

put a msgbox at the beginning of the macro. if you click the shape first the msgbox appears and then if you click ok the rest of the macro runs.

Upvote 0
Thanks Venkat1926, but the macro allows the user to click through a series of colours to denote the level of importance of the object in the model. Anything that requires additional clicks won't work.

Thanks

Upvote 0
No. there are no additional clicks to the shape. You click once the msgbox appears. the msgbox needs a response mostly "ok". you click ok and then the regular macro starts . try this trivial macro on an empty workbook on sheet 1.

Code:
Sub test()
MsgBox "this macro enters 123 in A1"
Range("a1") = 123
End Sub

Upvote 0
Right Click the Shape
Select Hyperlink
Click Screen Tip
Type in your message
Click OK
Click Bookmark
Type A1 in the top box
Click OK
Click OK

Edit: OK, this messes up the assigned macro. Working on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Datsmart,

I like the idea that you've started.

Could you do the hyperlink with the screen tip and the select the "Place in the document option."

When the shape is clicked, send it to an unused portion of the spreadsheet. Then have a change selection macro that runs automatically. It's first test condition is to test to see if it is in the unused cell. If it is, then run the macro that Lerumeur really needed to run.

I think that might get around the macro issue.

Ryan

Upvote 0
Datsmart - did you have any further luck with this by any chance? I wasn't sure how to apply ryan4osu's ideas.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I'm curious about this as well. In my case I have a sheet that displays hundreds of small images placed side by side to form a map (they each cover one cell and take up the entire cell so only the border shows). Each image runs a macro that then displays details about those coordinates in a userform. I need a comment to appear when they mouse over the images so they know what coordinates that image is for without having to randomly click images to narrow down the location they are looking for.

If the images don't have a macro assigned I can comment the cell behind the image and the comment appears when mousing over the image since it takes up the entire cell. As soon as you add a macro though you lose the commenting ability.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply Erik. I created a new workbook and tried out some of the solutions mentioned in that thread. I think Jaafar's solution would probably do what I'm looking for but from the description it sounds like it should have been popping up a comment box or something. The only time I was able to see anything though is if I clicked on a shape and got the MsgBox with the shape name in it.

Should I be getting a comment box or something popping up without having to click or am I misunderstanding what it should be doing? Could the version of Excel have anything to do with it (I'm running 2007)?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back