Overlay two charts

This is a discussion on Overlay two charts within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; I have one bar chart that uses the primary axis and a second bar chart, that uses the secondary axis. ...

Default Overlay two charts

I have one bar chart that uses the primary axis and a second bar chart, that uses the secondary axis. Both refer to the same data points on the x axis.
    Two issues:
    1) I would like to see the second bar chart on top of the first bar chart instead of each data point next to each other. Is that possible?
    2) The primary and the secondary axis should have their zero value on the same level.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Banned

Default Re: Overlay two charts

Gasherbrum,

This link may help:
    http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85170

Have a great day,
    Stan

Thank you, Stanley,

I guess that would be a solution if I am using Office 2007, but I am not. The 2003 version seems not to offer this option to selectively making parts of a chart transparent.

Ok, this podcast answers my question (at laest partially): http://cdn2.libsyn.com/mrexcel/podcast444.mp4

MrExcel MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Gasherbrum View Post
    1) I would like to see the second bar chart on top of the first bar chart instead of each data point next to each other. Is that possible?
    2) The primary and the secondary axis should have their zero value on the same level.
    1) "On top" meaning stacked, or just at the same position on the category axis? I hope not stacked, because it doesn't make sense for different axis scales.

If your series are in fact on primary and secondary axes, the secondary series will appear in front of the primary without any special effort on your part (most of the time people need help getting them not to obscure each other). To make the primary series visible from behind the secondary series, format it to have a smaller gap width and the secondary to have a larger gap width.

2) This requires manual adjustment whenever the scales change or VBA intervention. Here's a sample:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AlignXon2Ys.html
    Jon Peltier
    Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
    Try the Peltier Tech Chart Utility

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others