Auto Text-to-Columns "Feature"

doicomehereoften1

With the latest update for Excel loaded (it just got installed today), when opening a .txt file by selecting it and choosing Open With>Excel, it is now automatically putting it the data into columns which really screws up all the macros that format the data into usable reports. I found a sort-of fix by having Excel already open, going to FILE>OPEN, then choosing the .txt file and holding down SHIFT while clicking OPEN but I the way I've taught the other staff to run these macros is to use the Open With method since it's easier.

Does anybody know how to turn this "Feature" off? I haven't been able to find anything else about it thus far.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Update to this, I'm testing out all of my Macros and it's turning out that all of the Macros are now stopping after the TextToColumns statement. This is starting to look really bad.

Upvote 0
Update2: It's kind of spotty how the Macro's are stopping after the TextToColumns Statement. Some do it, some don't, and there's no real correlation as to why. It's not just stopping the Macro in place, it's Ending the Sub in place. It doesn't even skip to the End Sub statement. So far, I've had one Macro still work out of 5+ tested that contain this statement.

Upvote 0
I'm having this problem as well. I opened the file with notepad, saved to my hard drive as type "all files', instead of txt, opened that file with Excel & it got me down to two columns. That was managable. Any variation of the above resulted in 10 columns on the same file. This has the potential of becoming a huge problem for me due to the number of formats used on text reports I have to convert to Excel.
Help!

Upvote 0
You should try using the Shift+Open method that I described earlier.

Also, if you're using VBA Macros to format your .txt files, I found a solution this morning via trial and error.

Enter the code below near the beginning of all of your macros. It will change how you have to open the files so that you have to have a session of Excel already open, then run the Macro, and an OPEN dialog box will come up and you can then select the file. After this bit of code, you can have your TextToColumns code so that everything goes into the correct columns. You should also put a "Pickup:" line of code in Col 1 right before End Sub so that the Goto line will end the Sub if the user clicks Cancel.

Code:
'Open the file
fileToOpen = Application _
    .GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.txt), *.txt")
If fileToOpen <> False Then
    MsgBox "Open " & fileToOpen
    Else: Goto Pickup
End If
Workbooks.Open (fileToOpen)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmmeEnne1979

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back