Auto_xxxx() versus event handlers

Greg Truby

MrExcel MVP
By the time I started using a lot of VBA, the Auto_Open() and Auto_Close() methods' use was waning, supplanted by the _Open() and _BeforeClose() event handlers for the workbook object. So I never really got into the habit of using them.

However, I've been reading Bullen, Bovey & Green's book Professional Excel Development<SUP>1</SUP> and they use Auto_Open() quite a bit. So I've been plinkin' around a bit trying to suss out the differences. Do I have this more or less correct?

If I put in both an Auto_Open() in a standard module and a Workbook_Open()in the WB's code module both execute. But if I were to have Application.EventsEnabled set to FALSE; the Auto_Open() still executes upon opening the workbook whereas the Workbook_Open() will not?<sup>2</sup> And that since the open event handler runs before the Auto_Open() subroutine, using the Auto_Open() to insure that events are enabled does not cause the WB_Open() event handler to fire.

Auto_Close() runs even if EnableEvent = FALSE and (of course) WB_BeforeClose(...) does not fire. HOWEVER, just to make things interesting: if EnableEvents = TRUE and I hold down the SHIFT key while opening, neither of the open procedures fires. Whereas if I hold don the SHIFT key when closing, the _BeforeClose() event still gets raised; but the Auto_Close() does not run.

Does that about sum up the differences? Or are there more differences that I should be aware of?

<HR>
1. If you have developed a few complex projects and more-or-less can run back through Walkenbach's PowerProgramming with VBA book without seeing too much that you've forgotten; then this is the book to take you to the next level.

2. Both scenarios assume that macros are enabled.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hey ya, Greg.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA010346281033.aspx may help.

Key stuff:
Recording an Auto_Open macro has a number of limitations:

Many actions you may want to perform cannot be recorded.
If the workbook in which you save the Auto_Open macro already contains a VBA procedure in its Open event, the VBA procedure for the Open event will override all actions in the Auto_Open macro.
An Auto_Open macro is ignored when a workbook is opened programmatically by using the Open method.
An Auto_Open macro runs before any other workbooks are opened. Therefore, if you record actions you want Excel to perform on the default Book1 workbook or a workbook loaded from the XLStart folder, the Auto_Open macro will fail when you restart Excel because it runs before the default and start-up workbooks are opened.

Upvote 0
An interesting thread that I will be watching :cool:

Having started with VBE with Excel 5.0 (last century) I was a fan of Auto_Open and used it a lot. However this board showed me the error of my ways and I 'graduated' to using Workbook_Open().

However, try this in a version of Excel pre-2007

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Dim cBar As CommandBar
For Each cBar In CommandBars
    cBar.Enabled = False
Next cBar
Application.DisplayFormulaBar = False
End Sub

In my experience this will fail on

For Each cBar In CommandBars - Run time error '424' object required

suggesting to me that at the time the code runs CommandBars have not been initialized.

However, the following in a regular module runs just fine

Code:
Private Sub Auto_Open()
Dim cBar As CommandBar
    cBar.Enabled = False
Next cBar
Application.DisplayFormulaBar = False
End Sub

N.B. Before running the above, it is a good idea to have the reverse script to hand :)

Code:
Sub ShowCommandbars()
Dim cBar As CommandBar
    cBar.Enabled = True
Next cBar
Application.DisplayFormulaBar = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
FYI - simply changing that to qualify the parent for the commandbars collection fixes that bug:
Code:
    Dim cb As CommandBar

For Each cb In Application.CommandBars
        Debug.Print "wb_open", cb.Name
        cb.Enabled = False
    Next cb 
End Sub

Upvote 0
Well, you may have. It is interesting if this now works in XL2007. Why the different behavior?

Greg

If you haven't worked with XL 2007 (and I guess you haven't much since you still seem to be sane :biggrin: ) then the CommandBars collection appears on the Add-Ins tab (or not if you run my code above). So maybe I have spotted an anomaly since it does work seamlessly in XL 2007 and I'll now have to get 'em back :biggrin:

There's a lot more that's strange with XL 2007 (try recording a macro with charts or shapes for example) but I'll stop hijacking your thread and watch from the sidelines.

Upvote 0
Can I be the hijacker now?

Please?

This code works lovely for removing the commandbars from excel pre-2007 - do you know of something similiar to remove the ribbon(s) of XL 2007?

Code:
    Dim cb As CommandBar

For Each cb In Application.CommandBars
        Debug.Print "wb_open", cb.Name
        cb.Enabled = False
    Next cb 
End Sub

Basically I want to stop the User from doing anything but formatting Fonts, colors and stuff like that - I only want him to save using my save-routine and so on...

I was trying with
Code:
application.fullscreen = true
but that only hides the ribbon(s) - when you resize the window / click on Excel the ribbon is unhidden and fullscreen mode is false...

plus I have, at one point, to set the windowstate to xlnormal to allow the user to simultaniously view information on a website and enter it in my userform.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back