Excel 2007 - right-click, View code

njimack

In previous versions of Excel, you were able to right-click the XL icon in the top-left of the screen and select 'View Code' to be taken to the 'This Workbook' module. Now that the XL icon has been replaced by the Office button, I can't find an alternative method.

Yes I know there are other methods of accessing the VBA IDE (Alt+F11 or Developer tab>Visual Basic, or right-clicking a sheet tab), but if my mouse was already in the top-left of the screen, it was a useful shortcut.

Has anyone discovered a different shortcut to a workbook's code?

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
I just got 2007 yesterday and it took me forever to figure out how to print. But in the process i found the VB icon the Developers Tab, which had to be added by cliking on Microsoft Office Button|Excel Options|Popular|Show Developer Tab in Ribbon (its a checkbox). Happy Hunting....

Upvote 0
Perhaps the method I usually use in Excel 97 will work for you? Try right clicking on the sheet's tab, then selecting View Code.

Upvote 0
Thanks to both of you, but the doesn't help if the Home tab is displayed and my mouse is in the top-left of the screen.

Oh well, guess I'll have to get used to this additional 'feature' of the Ribbon!

Upvote 0
Hi Neil

The View Code button was the first one I added to the Quick Access Toolbar (soon followed by the Print and Print Preview buttons). It's the small command bar that is at the top left of the window, to the right of the Excel button. You may place it below the ribbon if you prefer.

Upvote 0
Thanks pgc

I've already added most of the buttons I use regularly to the QAT, but it hadn't occured to me to add the View Code button.

It's just a shame the icons on the QAT are so small. More than once, I've accidentally saved the file I was working in without meaning to, by clicking the wrong button!

Upvote 0
I've accidentally saved the file I was working in without meaning to, by clicking the wrong button!

Yes, I also was afraid of that, and so I changed the layout and now I have the first 2 buttons, New and Save, then I inserted 2 separators, and then all the other buttons. This way I don't feel any danger when I click the Save button.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back