Password Protected File--Help!

april576

I recently backed up a password protected file onto a CD and now it is read only and will not allow me to open it with my password. Is there anyway to by-pass the password?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
April,
You might have better luck by first moving or copying your CD file onto your hard drive, and then trying to open it with your password. CD's behave "funny" when you try to interact with the files stored on them, such as responding to a password prompt. Remember, the "last name" of CD is "ROM", standing for "Read Only Memory."
Try it from the hard drive. And if it almost works from there, except it makes you open a "read-only" copy, accept that offer, and then immediately "Save-as" a slightly different filename, and the "read-only" quality will be defeated.
HTH /s/ Larry

Upvote 0
Thanks Larry. I actually have tried to open it after moving it to my hard drive and it simply says the password I've provided is not correct even though I know it is. Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0
april, i have just done a similar thing. well, except for the small fact that i forgot the password cos i be real bright!! anyway, one of the guys on here suggested trying a website at http://www.lostpassword.com

the freeware sampler exe will show you the first two characters of the password. if you can't figure it out from there, you might need to either purchase their full service password buster exe. at $45usd, its a little steep but it saved my bacon.

let me know how you get on.

ajm

Upvote 0
If the only reason the file is being difficult is the read only tag, just change it in the file properties sheet in Explorer. Uncheck the read only box

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back