Excel 2007, can't insert new row

This is a discussion on Excel 2007, can't insert new row within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Afternoon, I have been using excel 2007 for a few months now. I have never had a problem inserting a ...

Board Regular

Default Excel 2007, can't insert new row

Afternoon,

I have been using excel 2007 for a few months now. I have never had a problem inserting a new row. When I right click on a cell to insert a new row it is grayed out in the drop down box. The only way I can insert a new line is to go to the Ribbon Bar and click insert row. Does anyone know of a way I can make it to where I can insert a row from right clicking on the cell and inserting a row. It works perfect on my other computer, I just can't get it to work on this one?

Wondering if I need to re-install excel 2007 on the computer?

Thanks,
    Tatorman

Default Re: Excel 2007, can't insert new row

The only time I have seen this problem is when the sheet is protected.
    Go to Review and see if the sheet is protected if so unprotect it.
    ASUS G75VW Gaming Computer with 16 GB Memory and Windows 8, Office 2013, Surface Pro also with Windows 8 and Office 2013 & HTC Windows Phone 8x.
    Boy Excel is hard to learn, does anybody know where I can buy a memory pill, so I quit forgetting it as fast as I learn it.

Check to see if the workbook is shared, that might be causing the problem.

Board Regular

I tried the info shared with me, however, I am not having much luck getting it to work again. Fear I may have punched the wrong button somewhere? I tried re-installing Excel 2007 but it is not working. When I right click on a cell to insert a new row it is grayed out in the drop down box. I can do it through the ribbon, but not by right clicking. Same with the auto-fill

Does the title bar of the workbook contain the text [Shared]?

Board Regular

No sir,

I got the autofill to work.

Still graying out the following when I right click on a cell though.

Cut
    Copy
    Past
    Paste
    Paste Special
    Insert
    Delete
    Clear Comments

However, the format cells, row height, hide and unhide are visable, and work.

I tried going to the
    Office button>Excel Options>Advanced> and made sure the Cut Copy and paste portions are all selected.

Gonna keep trying, I just can't seem to get it yet.

Thanks,

Cool Re: Excel 2007, can't insert new row

The problem for me was that I had used the 'format as table' option in my spreadsheet, to alternate row colors. Apparently doing so creates a different kind of table where you cannot insert rows. To fix it, I had to copy my data into a new table and use the conditional formatting option, with a formula that worked in prior versions of Excel.

Took me a while to figure out, surfed a lot of sites trying to find answers, nothing worked. It seems impossible to undo whatever is done when you choose the 'format as table' option. Everything was visible, nothing was locked, nothing was protected, nothing was merged.

Nothing has worked for me but the following:

If you are working with a table, try selecting the entire table (not the entire worksheet), rightclicking, and selecting "convert to range."

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others