Extracting unique data when comparing two columns

Salar

Board Regular
Good Morning,

I am needing some help as I am trying extract data from one column that is not in another. I have two named ranges called Passport and another called spreadsheet - these have an equal number of rows. I am trying to extract the unique data from the Passport column when compared to Spreadsheet. to do this I have set up another named range called "In Passport not in spreadsheet" This range is of the same length as Passport .

To extract the data I am using the following array in the "In Passport not in spreadsheet" column

{=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(Passport,Spreadsheet,0)),Passport,"")}

Unfortunately I don't get any return and I know there are a few unique entries.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Salar

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Quick and dirty. Copy the contents of both ranges into one contiguous column. Colour code them to distinguish which came from where. Apply an advanced filter, unique values only, and you will be left with (a) values that were in the first range and not in the second and (b) in a different colour, values that were in the second range but not in the first.

Upvote 0
Quick and dirty. Copy the contents of both ranges into one contiguous column. Colour code them to distinguish which came from where. Apply an advanced filter, unique values only, and you will be left with (a) values that were in the first range and not in the second and (b) in a different colour, values that were in the second range but not in the first.

Thanks for your help unfortunately this doesn't provide a full answer as once I have established was in unique in one column I need to reverse the argument and see what is unique in the other column

Thanks anyway

Upvote 0
This isn't basically a "toughie"...but Riaz's solution should have worked, providing simultaneously those that are in set A and not in set B, as well as those in set B that aren't in set A.
But, if you're convinced that his solution isn't suitable for your needs, then the next best solution is to create 2 helper columns, one for each group of data. In the first, enter the following formula, and copy down to all rows containing data:
Code:
=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(Passport,Spreadsheet,1,0)),"Not Found in Spreadsheet","OK")
In the second helper column, enter the following formula, and copy down to all rows:
Code:
IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(Spreadsheet,Passport,1,0)),"Not Found in Passport","OK")
Cindy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back